A few new snakes for me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
I picked up a few new snakes yesterday from someone moving to a non-venomous friendly state.

1.0 West African Gaboon Viper
031308001.jpg

031308003a.jpg

0.1 Rhino Viper
031308025.jpg

031308024b.jpg

0.1 Western Diamondback Rattlesnake, She is obviously in shed but has some nice red to her
031308020.jpg

1.0 Prairie Rattlesnake
031308013.jpg

031308015.jpg

1.0 Florida Cottonmouth (this guy is a beast!)
031308012.jpg

031308006.jpg

1.0 Southern Copperhead
031308019a.jpg

wayne.bob

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
iowa
Beautiful snakes!!!!!
i do have a few questions. How aggressive are they? and do you keep any anti-venom around? you have a wonderful collection!!!!

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
I dont keep antivenom on hand but I do have it on speed dial. The Rhino and Gaboon are fairly aggressive snakes with a very long reach. The Copperhead and Cottonmouth are fairly laid back. The Prairie is a runner, meaning he wants to run away from you instead of trying to stand hi ground. The Westerns tend to be fairly aggressive snakes.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
wow! incredible! i like the rattlers the best. be safe handling those things! they even look dangerous.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Their patterns are really pretty Anja. What do you do with all of your snakes? Do you breed them or just have them for pets?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Impressive. Does the Gaboon have venom similar to the pit vipers? The prairie brings back memories of the dog towns in the Dakotas and Wyoming.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Oooo Fred, Dweezil, Mickey, Dawn, Jax and Todd all look great! :p

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Very nice Anja!! May I ask what got you started with venomous snakes? I ask everyone that. They are beautiful though. Now another question, do you take them out and hold them often or only when you clean cages???? Just curious.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
jenrell23 said:
Very nice Anja!! May I ask what got you started with venomous snakes? I ask everyone that. They are beautiful though. Now another question, do you take them out and hold them often or only when you clean cages???? Just curious.

Ive never been the type to just want to hold my snakes, whether they were venomous or not. I fell in love with albino Monocle Cobras many years ago and they obsession grew from there. Ive had King Cobras, Mambas, etc. You name it, most likely Ive had it in my collection at some point or worked with it in someone else's collection at some point.

When we clean cages they go in large rubbermaid trash cans with secured lids or rubbermaid boxes depending on the size of the snake.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
cvalda said:
Oooo Fred, Dweezil, Mickey, Dawn, Jax and Todd all look great! :p

Great start Kelly! Just 183 to go! Plus eggs will be hatching in a couple of months too! hehehehe

AWAaviatrix

10 Year Member!
Los Lunas, New Mexico
JustAnja said:
West African Gaboon Viper

WOW Anja! They are all really cool looking but that Gaboon Viper's markings are stunning. Did you have purchase completly new enclosures for these guys or did they come with their set ups?
Do you have a picture posted anywhere that looks into your snake room? You just amaze me!

Misty

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Dan is constantly building new cages. lol

Anything in Rubbermaid containers is non-venomous ;) This pic was taken last fall and more of the 4plex and 2plex white stack cages have been built since then.

319bef5e.jpg

286a9d2e.jpg

b0b4d914.jpg

AWAaviatrix

10 Year Member!
Los Lunas, New Mexico
JustAnja said:

Anything in Rubbermaid containers is non-venomous ;) This pic was taken last fall and more of the 4plex and 2plex white stack cages have been built since then.

Wall to wall snakes!!! The white stack cages are fantastic. Very impressive. This is a totally lame question but have you ever walked in to a snake that has gotten out of its cage?

Misty

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
AWAaviatrix said:
JustAnja said:

Wall to wall snakes!!! The white stack cages are fantastic. Very impressive. This is a totally lame question but have you ever walked in to a snake that has gotten out of its cage?

Misty

Occasionally a cornsnake or a kingsnake will push their way out of the rack if the tub doesnt get pushed in far enough. If you notice the white cages all have barrel bolt locks on them. :)

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
thats a great snake room you have!
its so neat and clean too!

Status
Not open for further replies.