A few questions.

Jennifer1829

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
I am sure these have been answered already but I haven't found them all in one place. This is my first time keeping a tortoise so I want to make him happy.

1. I read to use soil instead of the chips because it's more comfortable for the tortoise. What kind of soil exactly would be best to use for a Greek?

2. What is the best humidity to keep him at?

3. What is the best temperature for him?

4. And last question for now... food. I see many conflicting diets. He loves romaine lettuce but won't touch kale. I know there are a few other things I need to try but would like to know what would be best for him.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
feel free to post pics, we all love pics here :) , it'll also help people advise you of any 'tweeks' that should be made. its good your asking q's and there are lots of experts here who will happily help

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Definitely read the care sheet I have pinned at the top this forum but to answer your questions directly:

1-Organic top soil mixed with coconut coir and/or peat moss is highly recommended for babies. You can even use a small handful of play sand to make it more natural for the animal but that is entirely up to you. Some people do not like to use it because in some cases it can cause impaction when ingested. In more than 20 years we have never had a single issue with using it.

2-Humidty should be around 70% but this can also be dependent on what subspecies of Greek you have.

3-Ambient temperature should be in the low to mid 80s but allowed to drop at night. Again depending on what subspecies you have. For example, ibera Greeks can be allowed to drop way down at night like Hermann's into the 60s. Some of the more heat loving Greeks should not drop this low at such a young age. Basking area for a baby should be around 95F.

4-Broad leaf weeds and mazuri are best for Testudo. Stay away from the romaine and most store bought produce whenever you can. It should only be offered in small amounts. Do not offer ANY fruit. Testudos cannot handle the sugar content. There is a mazuri/organic dried herbs video available on my site hermannihaven.com under feeding tips that you can watch and use for any Greek tortoise.

Hope this helps

Chris

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
If you start a compost pile now, you'll never have to worry about what's in your substrate again. Mixed with coconut coir it makes a wonderful substrate.

Jennifer1829

5 Year Member
Georgia
I'm not sure what kind of greek I have. If anyone knows? I was told that he was between 5 and 6 years old.

Attachments

• 1438216864191.jpg
    1438216864191.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 24

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
I would need a full body shot also a bottom shot. It doesn't appear to be an Ibera Greek though. It may be a T. graeca graeca or T. g. terrestris which are both more arid dwelling Greeks.

Jennifer1829

5 Year Member
Georgia
And I guess I should like to know if it's male or female :)

Attachments

• 1438256299841.jpg
    1438256299841.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 1438256316922.jpg
    1438256316922.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 20

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
It's definitely s Moroccan Greek (Testudo graeca marrokensis). This is a sensitive species from very arid areas of North Africa. Where did you get it from? It looks like one of the recent imports that came in the last few months. It also looks to be a young male. These tortoises are little bit trickier to sex then the other Greeks.

Jennifer1829

5 Year Member
Georgia
I got him from someone at repticon in atlanta. I was told he was between 5 and 6? But I'm not sure.

Jennifer1829

5 Year Member
Georgia
Is the humidity and temp need to be different for him than that on the care sheet?

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
There's no way of knowing his age but he is young probably around those numbers. 50% humidity tops but he should of course still have drinking water at all times. Substrate at this age should definitely have some sand in it. Basking area should be upwards of 100F and ambient should be in the mid 80s.

Jennifer1829

5 Year Member
Georgia
Does this bedding look better? He seems to like this much more. Since putting him in he has been moving around a lot smoother and faster.

Attachments

• 1438347386139.jpg
    1438347386139.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 23