A question on concrete...

SasquatchTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Forth Worth, Texas
I recently made a large 'Pond' for our sulcata. I used Quikrete Crack Resistant- link to product here.
Now for the question- it seems to have a lot of chemicals. Should I use it or is it unsafe?
Thanks

TaraMaiden

Nottinghamshire UK
I'd fill it with water and leave it for a couple of weeks to allow the chemicals to leach and settle. Then empty out the water, and refresh...

TaraMaiden

Nottinghamshire UK
I actually asked a neighbour, who is a builder. He recommends, for safety's sake, that you leave the pool DRY, and let it 'rest' for about a month. Concrete seems dry, but can have small hidden pockets of moisture, so try to protect it, and allow it to dry naturally, for 28 days...

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Curing is not synonymous with dry or drying. If anything, you should spray the concrete down a few times a day while it is curing.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I am not concerned about chemicals leached from new concrete.

You do need to keep the concrete moist the first few days. Letting it dry out while curing will promote cracking. Keep it wet for about 3 days, then fill with water to rinse and empty every day to allow it to cure another 5 days or so. Concrete does cure under water. That is a chemical reaction not "drying". After that - go ahead an fill and let the tortoise have access. Empty and refill the pool every few days for another week.

The primary chemical that is released from the concrete itself while curing is calcium hydroxide. That then turns into calcium carbonate when exposed to carbon dioxide. That gives new concrete that whitish film that can form on new concrete that most see as the chemical that is released. This diminishes with time quickly. This will also make the water more basic. Hence the need to reduce pH in a new swimming pool. For a tortoise pool and drinking water, not necessary.

For a tortoise pool, I would have no problem letting the tortoise have access to the pool in about 7 days, having rinsed and refilled the pool at least 4 times by then.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.

You do need to keep the concrete moist the first few days. Letting it dry out while curing will promote cracking. Keep it wet for about 3 days, then fill with water to rinse and empty every day to allow it to cure another 5 days or so. Concrete does cure under water. That is a chemical reaction not "drying". After that - go ahead an fill and let the tortoise have access. Empty and refill the pool every few days for another week.

The primary chemical that is released from the concrete itself while curing is calcium hydroxide. That then turns into calcium carbonate when exposed to carbon dioxide. That gives new concrete that whitish film that can form on new concrete that most see as the chemical that is released. This diminishes with time quickly. This will also make the water more basic. Hence the need to reduce pH in a new swimming pool. For a tortoise pool and drinking water, not necessary.

For a tortoise pool, I would have no problem letting the tortoise have access to the pool in about 7 days, having rinsed and refilled the pool at least 4 times by then.
What a fantastic explanation

SasquatchTortoise

Forth Worth, Texas

Thank you so much

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
My tortoise enjoys his swimming pool and when it gets dirty, I just wire brush it or power wash it.

Attachments

• 20210520_165058.jpg
    20210520_165058.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 11
  • 20210618_165010.jpg
    20210618_165010.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 11

SallyALP

Chandler AZ
I recently made a large 'Pond' for our sulcata. I used Quikrete Crack Resistant- link to product here.
Now for the question- it seems to have a lot of chemicals. Should I use it or is it unsafe?
Thanks
How do you plan to keep it clean once the tortoises are using it? Does it have a filtration system? Asking cause I have a cement pond for my sulcatas also.
Pictures?