A question on hibernation

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSnidr

10 Year Member!
It is now that time of the year again, where Speedy no longer gets his food in preparation for his hibernation.
I did until very recently believe that hibernation was a mandatory part of a tortoise's life, but after some reading around, I'm not so sure anymore.

He is 13 years old, and this will be his 12th hibernation (he's been mine since he was half a year old ^^). I don't think I'll stop the preparations now, as he's already gone without food since the end of october. However, I was wondering about winter times next year - will it mess up his instincts and/or habits to keep him awake after letting him hibernate for so long?

Though, I travel a lot during winter, and as I'm his sole owner, I would have to take him with me. This would probably be stressful on him, and I'd relax more if I knew he was safe in my parents' basement refrigerator. So, that is probably more of a hypothetical question.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Canada
I Think its a matter of choice and personal comfort level. I too am re-considerinng the hibernation thing as I used to have a tortoise I hibernated every year very well. It took me about 8 weeks to prepare him but you know if you want to change your mind even this year you could keep him warm, soak him and keep feeding him-he will be ok.

As for not hibernating permanently-I can't see it being a problem just keeping him awake-if a normally hibernating tort is unwell or underweight you would just not hibernate so its really no different to doing that.

I guess you need to consider your travels etc as part of your decision, good luck on that.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
About 2 years after inheriting my Grandfather's tortoise (my first), I went on the road for 6-8 months at a time and she went with me. She rode on a cushion, in a milk-crate, strapped to the passenger side of the seat of my Econoline van and really never seemed to suffer any stress...she'd get to walk around a bit at every stop and had free reign of every hotel room.

We dd this off-and-on for 7 years and it never affected her appetite or health and she lived 19 years w/ me.

Don't see why traveling a little with your tortoise would be bad.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sindre:

If the tortoise has hibernated (brumated) all these years, and acts like it is ready to go again this year, I see nothing wrong with allowing it. In my opinion, since you have to travel, it would be much less trouble to know your tortoise was safe in his hibernation box.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Many wild caught tortoises that have brumated (hibernated) their entire life in nature then collected and brought into captivity never hibernate again (based on the keepers choice). They do fine. Your tortoise can be looked at in the same way. While may have brumated for 12 years in a row it could be kept awake and active and be fine.

Traveling with a tortoise is possible, but not in the best interest of the tortoise. Tortoises are creatures of habit and their days and seasons revolve around routine temperatures, humidity levels, light duration, intensity and food availability. In other words, constants. Not very feasible or in some cases possible to provide living in a vehicle that is constantly on the move. I think that forcing a tortoise to travel constantly is absolutely not in the best interest of the animal.

If leaving the tortoise to artificially brumate in someone else's care the caretakers should be educated on how the tortoise is to be monitored, acceptable temperature and what to do if the power goes out, the tortoises wakes up, etc...

If the tortoise is brumated naturally outdoors in a suitable spot, once under there is little to do except wait until spring. Barring any natural occurances that could endanger the tortoise such as flooding or extreme winter warm spells.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I am confused as to why after 12 years you would want to not allow him to do what comes naturally to him? :rolleyes:

TheSnidr

10 Year Member!
Thanks for the replies! He really is a champ - after going a month without food and heat, he's still running around like a madman (or madtortoise, haha).
By the way, when I said travel, I meant by bus, train and plane, not my own car. But anyway, it's a nice little story you have there, Terry Allan, I can imagine it was nice having some company on your trip!

And ascott, as far as I've read recently, he'll gladly stay awake during winter as long as the conditions are unchanged from summer?

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
May I answer first: he'll gladly live in his temperate areal, otherwise we would found Hermanns in tropical areas already. And about being glad when kept awake in summerlike conditions... I don't know... he anyway has no choice, really, since no way of escaping the omnipresent heat. They just manage to survive, since they are quite tough and adaptable.
And if you are one of the keepers that already know how to prepare a tortoise for brumation, why not keeping that good, natural routine?? Maybe for the "first-tortoisers" :), overwintering is better than killing the tortoise, until having enough information to do it properly, but you are far from that stage.
Mandatory is what's natural. Even Polar Bears in Bucharest Zoo are not anymore eating seals or enduring under -50*C, and still live. But they are really not built for that kind of life. The same for a non-brumating Hermanni, the Eurotestudo par excellence. Even French ones survive even being frozen solid (-4*C) for short periods of time (not that you should try that!!)- if that's not a serious prove that these animals are built for brumating... then, nothing will do.
"You can take the Hermanni out of Europe, but you cannot take Europe out of a Hermanni." And last time I checked, Europe- for Testudo- meant (about 99%) between 3-5 months of brumation.

...but OK... they still live when treated as Leopards or Sulcatas... The only (really?) flaw is... they are not by far Leos or Sullys... they are Hermies :)!!!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Fabian.....stated very well. I agree. :D As much as I agree, there are many that are as strongly convinced otherwise :D

I suppose the best middle ground would be for all burrowing/brumating tortoise species caregivers would be to genuinely and whole heartedly review all available written research that outlines both encouraging and planning for your tortoise annual rest as well as all the opinions around as to why folks decide to not encourage this natural evolutionary gift that a variety of tortoise are blessed with.

I also would suggest that when folks begin their quest for the perfect species match to your life and lifestyle to be aware of what your selected tortoise does and needs and make your selection based somewhat on what you will be comfortable with..you know? :D.

But this is my opinion...

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
Yes Angela, well said! "Evolutionary gift that a variety of tortoise are blessed with"!
If one really wants to daily see his tortoise, he can naturally choose a tropical one, small or large, as he wish! Even I considered Redfoots or Manouria, but given up after thinking twice: why not help my natives Ibera and Boettgeri, since I live in the suitable climate, and for my pleasure and hobby only species like Horsfieldi and Marginata, able to endure my climate too, from easy to easy enough!
Your view is quite objective, and if I am among the ones entitled to an opinion, I would say it's the correct one.

Status
Not open for further replies.