A question regarding a baby Dalmatian Hermann

Lordsgc44

Location (City and/or State)
Croatia
Hi all.

I am currently spending a year in Croatia and in the apartment I am staying I noticed a tortoise in a pen at the foot of the garden. He doesn't appear to belong to anyone as far as I can see, though perhaps was at some point. Anyhow, I took some lettuce out this morning and on the walk back noticed a baby some way down the path that runs through the garden and was pleased I didn't step on it.

I have brought him inside for now as I had a fear of a bird or cat picking him up.

I then returned to the garden to see if there were anymore babies, but couldn't see any. Instead I saw a wider grouping of Hermann's, of varying ages, on the other side of the garden.

Now, my question to you guys is, do I keep the baby inside until I think it's big enough not to be picked up by a bird or do I return him near to the others? Also, I have since read that these types of tortoises just survive on the lay of the land. If this is the case I assume I should avoid presenting food to them.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sam

1651830415972.png

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
I do not understand your description of the pen and other tortoises in the garden. How large of an area is it? Is this a residential area or does it back up to a larger, forested area?

Unless you can keep this tortoise long term, it's best to put it back where you found it. It requires a lot of effort to keep a tortoise at the proper temps with all sorts of lighting. Find an area in the garden (away from the path obviously) where there's some cover, such as a bush where the tortoise can hide. Possible predation is an unfortunate reality of nature.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all.

I am currently spending a year in Croatia and in the apartment I am staying I noticed a tortoise in a pen at the foot of the garden. He doesn't appear to belong to anyone as far as I can see, though perhaps was at some point. Anyhow, I took some lettuce out this morning and on the walk back noticed a baby some way down the path that runs through the garden and was pleased I didn't step on it.

I have brought him inside for now as I had a fear of a bird or cat picking him up.

I then returned to the garden to see if there were anymore babies, but couldn't see any. Instead I saw a wider grouping of Hermann's, of varying ages, on the other side of the garden.

Now, my question to you guys is, do I keep the baby inside until I think it's big enough not to be picked up by a bird or do I return him near to the others? Also, I have since read that these types of tortoises just survive on the lay of the land. If this is the case I assume I should avoid presenting food to them.

Sam

View attachment 344274
Here is the care info. This thread includes indoor and outdoor care:

Gokhlaye

Czech Republic
If there is nobody who breeds tortoises and where it could have escaped from you should return it. Actually you have to return it as these tortoises are protected by CITES and EU law. Croatia is their natural area.
It sounds harsh and the tortoise probably won't survive, but you should return it to nature.

hayleyrosemccabe

Scotland
Coming from someone who lives in Scotland and the weather it’s only suitable for 3-4 months of the year indoor set ups are EXPENSIVE.
Full rig up, big enclosure, full spectrum lighting, thermostats, hides, substrates, decor etc. i spent a grand on my t.h. hermanni to offer everything I could while indoors. Not to mention monthly electricity costs and foraging for weeds + flowers.

If native, put it back. Nothing beats real sunshine, hatchlings can be very very good at hiding and burrowing down into microclimates

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Hi all.

Sam

View attachment 344274
How adorable !!! I did not know that greek tortoises are from croatia?