A Quick & Easy Light Stand

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
In my Vision cage closed chamber Will mounted a closet rod in the walls for the light to hang on:

View attachment 281042
You mean the radiant heat panel? LOL! I just now went and looked at it, and you're right, the label says "Sweeter Heater." I have two bricks sitting on their thin, long side and the RHP is the 'roof' over the bricks, making a cave. The Temperature sensor is just at the doorway into the cave.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
This was exactly what I needed to see pics of right now! I've been pondering how i can expand my lighting set up to be sturdier! Nice easy suggestion since I have to double the size of my light stands!

Orcsloot

Corpus Christi, Texas
Since it's getting to be time to have your turtles back indoors, I thought it might be a good idea to re-visit this thread.

Lately, since learning about the closed chambers, I put a piece of plastic down first, then the stand, then I bring the plastic up and over the top of the stand to cover the whole thing.
Could you snap a pic of this I’d like to learn more of what you mean by wrap it up? Here in south Texas we have cold fronts and that would be the time to probably lock stuff up more securely like lock in the heat humidity etc.

Orcsloot

Corpus Christi, Texas
I use 6 mil plastic, and it doesn't touch the lights, so it doesn't melt.

View attachment 231580 View attachment 231581

After using this system for a couple years now, I've come to realize that a real closed chamber works much better. The plastic is ok in a pinch, but babies raised in a completely closed enclosure, such as a large tub with the lid on or a wooden box built especially for tortoises works much better. Also, the type of light/heat you use makes a big difference in whether or not the babies grow pyramided. I've always used black incandescent for nights and Zoo Med UVB for days. My baby tortoises go to Will's house in San Diego after hatching and I usually only keep them here for a few weeks. The last time he took babies home with him there were still two eggs in the incubator that hadn't hatched, so I had two baby leopards that I had to keep here until the next time Will came to get them. It was about 4 months. By the time Will came to pick them up, you could see that they were going to pyramid. So it's time to re-think the way I care for babies. I think it's mainly the lighting. I'm going to change out the incandescent and go with a tube type fluorescent UVB, then for heat I haven't decided on a CHE or some other non-drying heat source. I have to talk to @Markw84 and @Tom
Nvm I see the pic now lol still learning this site! :)

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Sorry Ink...it's a NASCAR weekend that starts with qualifying on Thursday...this is a mini greenhouse set over a wooden tort table...this is the chick brooder panel at one end...it's on a rheostat so the temp is consistentDSCN1009.JPG
I have a che hanging from the bar that holds up the plastic...you can see the silver hood hereDSCN2492.JPG

• Haha
Reactions: Ink