Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Russian hatchling 8-19-20.jpg

I found this baby Russian in the Russian yard this a.m.
I looked around carefully, but couldn't find any more, nor could I find the nest this one came out of.
For now he's in a shoe box in one of the hospital tanks.
I always inspect my yards for nesting activity, and have not ever seen such in the Russian yard.
So at least now I know all the girls and boy have 'working equipment!'​

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
View attachment 303916

I found this baby Russian in the Russian yard this a.m.
I looked around carefully, but couldn't find any more, nor could I find the nest this one came out of.
For now he's in a shoe box in one of the hospital tanks.
I always inspect my yards for nesting activity, and have not ever seen such in the Russian yard.
So at least now I know all the girls and boy have 'working equipment!'​
At least you know one of the girls has working equipment. There must be more somewhere. what a perfect little baby. Congratulations!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
OMG!!! You thought that Russian was cute, wait 'til you see this - I was walking down to the mailbox, which is outside my gate and about 25' or so down the hill and out of sight, at the street. I'm so lucky - well, maybe HE's so lucky - I didn't step on him. I always watch where I'm walking because there's a teddy bear cactus down there that throws pieces at you, and it hurts like hell if you're wearing flip flops.

So I see this little dried up 'dead' body in the driveway, "Oh no. . . a soft shell hatched and got out under the fence and the sun dried him up." Well, I picked up the little crisp body, and his little legs pushed against my hand! He's been out of the water for quite a while because he can't submerge, he floats:

softshell 8-26-20.jpg

I doubt there's any chance to find the rest of the clutch, but tomorrow I'll be out there on hands and knees, looking for more babies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
OMG!!! You thought that Russian was cute, wait 'til you see this - I was walking down to the mailbox, which is outside my gate and about 25' or so down the hill and out of sight, at the street. I'm so lucky - well, maybe HE's so lucky - I didn't step on him. I always watch where I'm walking because there's a teddy bear cactus down there that throws pieces at you, and it hurts like hell if you're wearing flip flops.

So I see this little dried up 'dead' body in the driveway, "Oh no. . . a soft shell hatched and got out under the fence and the sun dried him up." Well, I picked up the little crisp body, and his little legs pushed against my hand! He's been out of the water for quite a while because he can't submerge, he floats:

View attachment 304514

I doubt there's any chance to find the rest of the clutch, but tomorrow I'll be out there on hands and knees, looking for more babies.
Congratulations again. You may have your work cut out for you, Can't they lay many eggs in a clutch ? Hopefully some made it into the pond and you just haven't noticed them yet

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

View attachment 304514

What an amazing Summer you are having!! Good luck tomorrow.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Congratulations again. You may have your work cut out for you, Can't they lay many eggs in a clutch ? Hopefully some made it into the pond and you just haven't noticed them yet
Yeah, I don't know why this little guy went the opposite way from the pond. You'd think they would have a homing instinct that let's them smell water.