Status
Not open for further replies.

pebbles mom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sussex, WI
Okay guys, I am starting to panic :(

I am down to my last dandelion leaf/flower at home and my attempt at growing them in the house = not so good :( I have family members doing one last search for "weeds" in their yards, before the snow flies here. My question is what is the BEST thing I can get at the store? I am calling a couple of the upscale grocery stores around here that I think might carry dandelion greens (Good Harvest, Whole Foods) But in case I do not find any ... Help!!

Just a thought ... could I grow flowers like Petuna, Pansies in the house? Or do I need "Bee's" for that? hummm - sorry, thinking outloud.

Any input appreciated !!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Endive, escarole, raddicchio, turnip greens to name just a few. You can also buy a pre-packaged mix called Spring Mix.

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Most flowers can be grown in the house from seed. But if you are having difficulty growing Dandelions inside you may have difficulty growing flowers. There are also places on the net that sell food for reptiles like http://www.reptigreens.com you might want to try doing a search for others.

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Toronto
I've fed my hatchling just store bought greens and he's doing fine. I wouldn't worry too much! Buy the organic spring mix.

pebbles mom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sussex, WI
THANKS MUCH everyone! Pebble will eat anything so I'm not to worried about converting him over.

Ya, I don't understand why these dandy's arn't doing anything. I have a "fair" green thumb. My poinsettia at work is still alive!! Not the best looking thing ... but I can't get rid of it if it is still growing. We call it the Charlie Brown poinsettia :) Anyway ... I might have to attempt some flower seeds. Or maybe I just planted the dandelion seeds wrong :rolleyes:

Thanks for that website, pretty cool.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Is the "Pet Grass" they sell in petshops (for cats and dogs)
safe for torts??? I mean, it is certified organic...

just wondering...

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Yes meg, it is organic and it is mostly wheat Grass which is a good grass. They also sell organic catnip.
If you have and shop at Wal-Mart in the pet section they have wheat grass in a plastic container that you start it grows easily in vermiculite, but is easily cut for your torts.

Pebbles mom, perhaps the seeds you got were not the best. Sometimes I have gotten seeds that just would not grow well. Bought a different batch and they did fine. Just a thought. Also if you check with some of the High schools, colleges or Universities in your area sometimes they have a horticulture department that are more than happy to help you with growing items or donating you items throughout the winter months.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
So should I buy some Pet Grass (and wheat grass if they do have it at my walmart) and clip some to add to his food daily? Or how many times should he be allowed access? can i "plant" the the pet grass in his enclosure?

Crazy1 said:
Yes meg, it is organic and it is mostly wheat Grass which is a good grass. They also sell organic catnip.
If you have and shop at Wal-Mart in the pet section they have wheat grass in a plastic container that you start it grows easily in vermiculite, but is easily cut for your torts.

Pebbles mom, perhaps the seeds you got were not the best. Sometimes I have gotten seeds that just would not grow well. Bought a different batch and they did fine. Just a thought. Also if you check with some of the High schools, colleges or Universities in your area sometimes they have a horticulture department that are more than happy to help you with growing items or donating you items throughout the winter months.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Meg I am not sure about Hermans as I do not own any. I know my Greeks do not like grasses they are more weed eaters and really snub the grasses. I would think it would not hurt to try and snip some and add it to their food occasionally if they will eat it.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
ohhhh gah. I didn't notice that this was posted in the Hermanns section....
I am actually getting a jordanian greek male sometime next week, and
am just trying to hash out his diet.

hopefully, once i have him, and post stuff, you can be of some assistance since you have greeks too!

pebbles mom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sussex, WI
Somewhere I read they (Hermanns) can eat carrot tops ... is this true? I finally found a grocery store with awesome produce in it ... including the carrot tops. Just wondering.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
pebbles mom said:
Somewhere I read they (Hermanns) can eat carrot tops ... is this true? I finally found a grocery store with awesome produce in it ... including the carrot tops. Just wondering.

I heard that too but I never tried because the grocery store and the vegetables market where I go cut the top of the carrots.

Status
Not open for further replies.