A Very Outgoing Eastern Boxy

GreenFire719

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina, USA
Hello Everyone! I know it has been awhile since I've really posted anything on the forums but I just thought it might be nice to share about my turtle. So last year I acquired a female Eastern Box turtle who I have named Io (like the moon). I originally thought she was between 6-10 years old but now I am thinking she is actually closer to 12-16 years old. She is exactly 5" on her plastron and weighs 13.8 oz but I believe she is still growing. I don't know if I've mentioned it in previous posts but Io is a rescued turtle, I had received her from a friend who didn't want her anymore and have done my best to get her back to ideal health and diet. From when I got her to now I have noticed a huge change in personality. For one thing she is very outgoing and curious about everything. She loves to crawl around the house (supervised of course) and explore under and in everything she can get into. If I am on the ground with her she will crawl into my lap. She's not really into head rubs but she actually likes cuddling; I don't know if she likes it because of my body heat or she just likes the feeling of being protected under my arm but she is a very interesting turtle indeed. It's pretty funny to see here walk about or even just sit on my desk with her neck fully stretched out just watching me. She's also obsessed with carpet and likes to try to dig into it with her arms and head much like she does with grass, only she tries to eat my carpet and not the grass. I have to say the only thing that really bothers me is the fact she doesn't like to burrow. She kind of digs little divets in her dirt to sit in but doesn't try to cover herself with any. I see things about box turtles burrowing all the time so it's kind of weird she doesn't like it. Anyway I'm just gonna attach some pictures of her since she's very photogenic.
View media item 10012View media item 10014View media item 10011View media item 10010View media item 10013

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I've had quite a few that have lived outdoors their entire life's , the shallow depressions you describe is what they do ….. the only times I see them bury themselves is later on in the fall , winter , and early spring …….

speckles&spud

PNW, USA
She sounds very similar in personality to my female Eastern(in my user pic). Super friendly and actually likes hanging out with me and my husband, and cuddling. I think she likes the body heat, and she trusts us enough to relax around us. Your girl is adorable!
Also, all of my boxies have only ever dug shallow depressions, and only dig deeper when it's hibernation time.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
I love the video of her helping with gardening. You have a muddy hole, count me in! Classic box turtle behavior.