A very Unique Northern Redfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
So with the years of debates this gal' still throws the " wild card" in most theories and assumptions. One of my favorite , and just more beautiful in person. The marbling typically seen on this species is almost always "white" where as this gal is "yellow" matching her all yellow head. In most cases Marbling is seen on Cherry Head RedFoots, and not the other species.........If you own a Marbled RedFoot other than a Cherry , would love to see your tort~....

A62.jpg
A63.jpg

rr16.jpg
A64.jpg

JD~:)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Angrycowgoesmoo said:
What are they eating on the last picture? Mangos?

Mango, Berries, Peach , pinapple,,,, just a Fruit Parfi' mixture~:p

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
terryo said:
Does she have any Cherry at all in her background? She's very beautiful.

Nope Miss Terry ..... she even has the distinct Northern plastron...with the two dark blotches on each side.....Even another neat~o factor she has near symetrical head markings.:rolleyes:

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
This is Mylo (now in Jacqui's possession), and as far as I can tell, s/he is pure Northern...

2j1a7ep.jpg

Plastron... not as 'pure' Northern as the classic version, but lots different than my Brazilians.

2wrknxc.jpg

Mottling in Red-foots is obviously something turning the melanin off. I don't think we have enough real data to know how much of it is inheritance, and how much is environment or diet.

I do agree that the Brazilians or cherry-heads are more susceptible than Northerns, but there have been some events that make me think it may be at least partially non-genetic.

My current herd came from Allegra, and all are mottled, but some of their nest mates are not. Did I get lucky, or is something I am doing that she is not triggering it?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
RedfootDougie said:
This may be a newb question but Cherry Heads and normal redfoots can mate right?

yes they can ......:shy:

Madkins007 said:
I do agree that the Brazilians or cherry-heads are more susceptible than Northerns, but there have been some events that make me think it may be at least partially non-genetic.

My current herd came from Allegra, and all are mottled, but some of their nest mates are not. Did I get lucky, or is something I am doing that she is not triggering it?
"Madman" :D
Nice addition and follow up.....thanks for the pics ...I hope to see more. I would lean very heavy on genitics for the variance in the mottled/marbling and not so much on habitat/diet exposure. And once again I stress I have never seen one with yellow marbling and such distinctive markings, hence why I call her my " varigated gal" she is more varigated( like a plant) than " marbled". And very few Northerns with so called Mottled I've actually seen ..... thanks again~

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I have gotten to "cherries" from Allegra. One is marbling and one is not. Two different mothers..born 1 month apart. So genetic?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Northerns and 'cherries' mating- N2, do you have solid evidence this is happening? Most of the reports I can find are 'iffy' on where the genes came from, especially since they seem to be able to store sperm for years and mix it internally. From what I have seen, there are few reliable records in which they can definitively state which male the genes came from.

If they CANNOT mate, it would be really strong evidence they are not the same species, which would be really cool!

Nature vs. nurture- I do think that genes are the key, but my guys all mottling (and are from at least two different nests) and none of the nest mates Allegra kept are makes me wonder.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I am pretty sure that all of Terry K's recent hatchlings are out of Northern females by a Brazilian male.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Madkins007 said:
Northerns and 'cherries' mating- N2, do you have solid evidence this is happening? Most of the reports I can find are 'iffy' on where the genes came from, especially since they seem to be able to store sperm for years and mix it internally. From what I have seen, there are few reliable records in which they can definitively state which male the genes came from.

If they CANNOT mate, it would be really strong evidence they are not the same species, which would be really cool!

Nature vs. nurture- I do think that genes are the key, but my guys all mottling (and are from at least two different nests) and none of the nest mates Allegra kept are makes me wonder.

Do I have solid evidence? Your kidding right.? Maybe you should look back at some of the other posts. I recently mentioned about the northern hypo female mating with a pure cherry. And yes it worked,.....no questions in my mind my friend. We shall see more "solid evidence " for ya at the end of the year......

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
N2- my memory of previous posts is terrible (and since I have not bred them yet, I tend to stay out of those threads since I cannot contribute anything). Like I said, I've seen so many people claim that their babies are mixes, but they do not segregate the males or keep good records, so I have to wonder how they know for sure. If your males have been segregated for more than three years, then great!

Status
Not open for further replies.