A warning for anyone re homing a turtle or tortoise (revisited)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Most of this has been mentioned in part, previously. But it looks like it needs to be repeated.
Any time a member posts about a tortoise that needs to be re homed, they're contacted by others about that animal.
These are a few ways I'd suggest to protect yourself and help you find a great home for your beloved pet;

1) Do a search of that member. See how many other posts they have. (Do they have any) What was the content? Was it also mostly about other free tortoises?

2) Ask questions. Where do you live? Where and how are you planning to keep the tortoise? Make sure that they aren't planning on jamming your tortoise into a 40 gallon aquarium under a light bulb. You can also ask other members if they know any pros or cons of the prospect in a PM

3) What are their intentions? Is it going to be for a small child's amusement? Is it possible that they just want it on some sort of a whim and will soon be tired of it or overwhelmed by what is actually needed? Tortoise keeping is a commitment

4) Can they realistically afford the equipment. Housing and care? Including veterinary care?

5) Are they an adult or a child? On this forum you can't tell if someone is 50 or 14.

6) Is the person a re seller or a scammer? Personally I'd be very pissed off if I gave any of my animals away for it's best life just to have that person sell the animal for cash to just anyone. This also could fall under the "intentions" part.

Please consider these things and anything else anyone else has added to this thread as you decide on a new forever keeper for your turtle or tortoise.

Best of luck to you

Last edited:

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
London, UK
Sad but true , good to have guidance.