"FREE" tortoise trawling warning

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'd be surprised if this topic hasn't already been gone over a few times, but even so, it seems like we could mention it again:
Most every post that any member places that is looking for an honest, good, new home for their tortoise, if the word "FREE" appears, immediately one or even several "members" that have never been seen before swoop in to try to obtain this tortoise or turtle. Most of these brand new members have never even posted before and of the ones that have, most of them have only a few posts and they were also in response to free ads. Just about all have never contributed to the forum in any other way and this happens almost each and every time such a posting comes up.
I'm not saying that these mystery members couldn't potentially be great people, just that the chances that they are up to either re selling for a profit or making an impulse decision and willing to give your little friend a horrible home is great.
If you must find a new home for your animal, please use caution.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
it behooves anyone looking 2 place a turtle or tortoise to do some background info checking

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
When I'm trying to place Calif. Desert Tortoises, I look at the previous postings of the new people, expressing an interest. Approx 95% of the time that person is responding to each and every post about a turtle ir tortoise needing a home.
It's scary!! I don't think this thread could be posted too many times.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Some times folks will make a comment asking like to see pictures, ect.., just to try to give a subtle warning to check folks out. The Mods have also toyed and experimented with different "requirements". Nothing really works well. Plus they can go around all requirements by PMing. This is something that bothers us. So if you have good ideas shoot them to us.

Please note, nobody is saying all are bad, just that we all worry about unknowns who only seem to want free animals.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I don't think that mods are not doing their jobs and I have no good suggestions except to occasionally warn people who may not be aware of the situation.
We've had at least one LEGENDARY scammer/ troller that has kind of tainted things ....for me anyway.
(Deercorpse)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've noticed this phenomenon of new people coming out of the woodwork for a free tortoise too. I hope no one is falling for this. I'd never give a tortoise to someone like that.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
How about if I take what you have written, expand on it and then post it as a sticky in Adoptions. Think people will actually read it? Maybe I could also send like a link to it on individual adoption threads.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The "free" idea is interesting. I think if we just removed that word from the post/thread it may cut down on those actually doing a search for 'free' tortoises. We'll have to be inventive and try to think of ways to word the ad so it doesn't come up on a 'net search.

This is why we started the 30 days or 30 posts rule, but like Jacqui said, once the ad is out there, anyone can send a PM.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
@ZEROPILOT this exact phenomena occurred at meetings of T&T societies before the internet removed computer literate people from those meetings. I talked about this and called those seeking the animals believers in "Tortoise Angels" trying my best to not be a direct as your post, which I agree with 100%.

I can recall people literally scrambling for the closed box with a suspected FREE turtle inside at T&T meetings, now appearing in the media as Black Friday openings at a WalMart. Collectors lust is ugly, in all interests.

Glad you brought this into "New Posts" again.

The funny thing is the other side of this, people getting rid of animals that are sick and diseased so they don't have to find the animal dead and realize the accompanying emotions of failing to provide a good life for their pet. They are out there too. I have a friend who does rescue, and had a F&F type uniformed officer bring in a large tortoise likely dropped and near death due to a broken plastron. Yeah, think about that feces.

AnimalLady

Ive noticed the same thing, I always think, who the heck is that? where did they come from?!

I already have a back up if me and my cherry baby dont work out ;) ;)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I don't know why people even try because all free forum Tortoises are all mine . But really I think people are smart enough to see these guys from a mile away . Instead of making a thread about it why not pm people asking them to keep them . I know if any of my tortoises need to go I'm asking a hand full of people here then I'm going to close friends . My two leopards are just down the street at a friends house . I can walk on down there and check on them if need be .

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have heard that snake owners look for free kitten and puppy ads and then get them for food for the snake

AnimalLady

I have heard that snake owners look for free kitten and puppy ads and then get them for food for the snake
And rabbits. I can't tell you how many people I refused to rehome a rabbit to because they seemed fishy. They also use free animals as baiters for dog fights. People can be so disgusting.