A weird question:

Bee62

Location (City and/or State)
Germany
I`ve never tried this but I am sure they don`t. They might follow something that they can see and smell.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Cats are hunters, tortoises aren't. Cats follow the light because it triggers the hunting instinct them.

If it were a red laser, they might be tempted to head for it I suppose, simply because red means yummy and they're not very intelligent. My tort tried to eat red circles printed on a newspaper once [emoji849] However, I wouldn't rely on them to repeat the investigation.

drew54

Indiana
All this advice to encourage Neurotic tendencies in dogs and cats. Lasers cause a hunting then a failure. This messes with their minds.
When my puppy comes and sits in front whimpering after I put laser up and nudges my hand or tries to bite my pocket until I use it again and allow him to chase it. What is he telling me then? He respond the same with with his toys we have for him also.

drew54

Indiana
That he’s developed/developing some neurotic behavior.
So, what am I supposed to do? Am I not to let him, not really sure what word to use since its apparently not play, throw his toys around, chase them, or anything then? I mean all baby's are born neurotic sociopaths psychologically. I'm not understanding how "play" in a mammals is teaching them to be neurotic or even an act of neurotisim. I do understand certain types of aggressive play can teach and or reinforce aggressive behaviors.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I imagine an omnivorous turtle, one who does have some hunting instinct, would be more interesting in investigating the moving red dot, vs. a herbivorous tortoise. If they couldn't eat it, they'd lose interest quickly.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Mine has tried to bite at the red dot from my temp gun when I have temped the ground in front of them. Them never really showed an interest to follow it though.

Abu Dhabi
So i went ahead and tried with my greek...
Nothing happened
She loves nibbling on my thumb when i feed her dandelions though, so that's something.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
the laser dot stimulates the attack part of the brain. When the pounce comes and there’s no reward it messes with their mind.
I understand what you're saying, and have thought about it before. So with my cats, they chase the dot until I aim it on a toy...they attack and kill the toy. That way they don't come up empty.