About tortoise tables and humidity

tortyboyman

Location (City and/or State)
UAE, Abu Dhabi
Hello! For context I own a baby hermann's tortoise, and I constantly hear that tortoise tables are inferior as they are unable to maintain proper humidity or temperatures. However, my hygrometer constantly says my enclosure humidity is around 80%+ I am conflicted as the guide is old and it says they are able to handle lower humidity like 60%, so is a tortoise table a problem in that regard?

1713456727717.png
And also, I was considering buying a dishwasher tub and turning it into a little hide, but I have this type of wooden hide already made into my tortoise table. Is it sufficient? Because either way I find my tortoise preferring to dig rather than hide in this area.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No one has been able to keep humidity where it needs to be in a table. I'm thinking yours really isn't able to either, you'd be the only one!
Babies need 80% adults can have it lower or a humid hide.
I wouldn't add another hide, the enclosure if premade is likely bare minimum size for a young one and will need bigger as it grows.

tortyboyman

UAE, Abu Dhabi
No one has been able to keep humidity where it needs to be in a table. I'm thinking yours really isn't able to either, you'd be the only one!
Babies need 80% adults can have it lower or a humid hide.
I wouldn't add another hide, the enclosure if premade is likely bare minimum size for a young one and will need bigger as it grows.
Yeah, my bedroom is just super humid. Worth the sacrifice for my torty. I use a humidifier and I dampen his soil almost thrice daily. I have eczema so I have overall benefited from the increase in humidity.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yeah, my bedroom is just super humid. Worth the sacrifice for my torty. I use a humidifier and I dampen his soil almost thrice daily. I have eczema so I have overall benefited from the increase in humidity.
Okay I see. If you pour warm water into the corners it will dampen the bottom substrate and you wouldn't have to spray it daily. Maybe only once a week or less.

Rock & Rose

Corona ca
Tables are definitely not a problem if you’re able to maintain humidity. Most environments are too dry to maintain with an open top, which is why they’re not ideal.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The wood itself will quickly swell, rot and fall apart from the moisture.
The mold will be growing before that.
Any wooden enclosure will need a liner of some sort to protect it. Even then it'll be inadequate for most species and also too small.
I realize it's already too late to help. But hopefully someone else will see this and use their good money on something else.