Abscess removal "VIDEO"

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
So NOT watching any of these videos. Just the thoughts of what they contain is more than I can handle. I never even watch shots. Not when I get them or when had to be with my kids when they got them.

majxmom

Boy, I do not agree with the treatment of that horse at all. I would guess that the horse was a rescue from the conversation, but it seems that the abscess was untreated for at least some period of time. It certainly needed a Tygon tube run up there and aggressively flushed. All of that leathery skin is OBVIOUSLY necrotic but it does make a good shield and should be allowed to slough off by itself. I would insist the vet put in a latex drain and then I would flush it 5x a day. Eventually that leathery patch would rot off but by then the tissue underneath could have granulated up a bit and the flies would keep away...although some maggots would really help that right now. Ugh, poor horse.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
Boy, I do not agree with the treatment of that horse at all. I would guess that the horse was a rescue from the conversation, but it seems that the abscess was untreated for at least some period of time. It certainly needed a Tygon tube run up there and aggressively flushed. All of that leathery skin is OBVIOUSLY necrotic but it does make a good shield and should be allowed to slough off by itself. I would insist the vet put in a latex drain and then I would flush it 5x a day. Eventually that leathery patch would rot off but by then the tissue underneath could have granulated up a bit and the flies would keep away...although some maggots would really help that right now. Ugh, poor horse.
the horse is 30 years old a very old Horse. the person who posted it kept updates on there channel of the horse and he made a 100% recovery. I also dont agree with how they removed the puss of what ever that stuff was but atleast the horse made a full recovery.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Good Lord.......How scare of it is for the tortoise.

Thank you for sharing....

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
Well for the horse it probably was like when I used to get cystic acne - extremely painful pressure would build up but once I finally popped it I felt sooooooo much better. So that cyst was probably extremely painful and probably hurt when they started removing it (popping it) but I imagine he felt the pressure instantly leaving that area and felt much better afterwords.

Also for the turtle video, I'm surprised someone hasn't posted the one where hes removing the maggots....

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
Well for the horse it probably was like when I used to get cystic acne - extremely painful pressure would build up but once I finally popped it I felt sooooooo much better. So that cyst was probably extremely painful and probably hurt when they started removing it (popping it) but I imagine he felt the pressure instantly leaving that area and felt much better afterwords.

Also for the turtle video, I'm surprised someone hasn't posted the one where hes removing the maggots....
I know how that feels ! Stup!! Acne I had acne for so many years it left marks on my face it sucks !

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
I know how that feels ! Stup!! Acne I had acne for so many years it left marks on my face it sucks !

Yeah I have tons of scars from the cysts all over my upper back and shoulders, it was only when I was 17 that I figured out I needed to go to a dermatologist to get the correct acne medications because the over the counter stuff never really worked for me. :/

No wait I think I was 19 when I started going to a dermatologist lol.

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
Yeah I have tons of scars from the cysts all over my upper back and shoulders, it was only when I was 17 that I figured out I needed to go to a dermatologist to get the correct acne medications because the over the counter stuff never really worked for me. :/

No wait I think I was 19 when I started going to a dermatologist lol.
I went to the dermatologist too and the medications he prescribed me didn't worked , I been using a soap that I found for about 3 years and it's very effective and ever since my face looks so much better and even the marks don't look that bad anymore , I never got any pimples on my back or anywhere else just my face .

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Ewwwww! But fascinating and informative. Thanks for sharing the find.

I have done this before, the lance and purge part, with my dog. I took him to the vet and it regrew like 2 months later. Several hundred dollars and back again? So I used a black salve (google what that is) to get it to "pop" if you will. Took 3 days. Like a massive, fatty whitehead. Well, like that poor little tortoise. Then I did the same syringe and flush with distilled water. After that, I used manuka honey from New Zealand. It is quite an awesome honey because I believe it comes from the tea tree flowers and we know how wonderful tea tree is for wounds. Plus it keeps the wound open and draining. If the wound closes too quickly it may encase some yukky stuff and you still have a future problem that will fester again. Possibly what happened with the vet visit. It was not all removed. Anyhow, I then cleaned/flushed 3 times a day and then patted some manuka honey afterwards. Good stuff. Not cheap. I think an 8 ounce jar was 35 bucks, it has a high UMF of 20+ but .... Works. Like.
Might be good as a facial, too! : )

Here is some info about manuka from WebMD.

Hydrogen peroxide is a component of honey. It gives most honey its antibiotic quality. But some types of honey, including manuka honey, also have other components with antibacterial qualities. The major antibacterial component in manuka honey is methylglyoxal (MG). MG is a compound found in most types of honey, but usually only in small quantities. In manuka honey, MG comes from the conversion of another compound -- dihydroxyacetone -- that is found in high concentration in the nectar of manuka flowers. MG is thought to give manuka honey its antibacterial power. The higher the concentration of MG, the stronger the antibiotic effect. Honey producers have developed a scale for rating the potency of manuka honey. The rating is called UMF, which stands for Unique Manuka Factor. The UMF rating corresponds with the concentration of MG. Not all honey labeled as manuka honey contains significant levels of MG. To be considered potent enough to be therapeutic, manuka honey needs a minimum rating of 10 UMF. Honey at or above that level is marketed as "UMF Manuka Honey" or "Active Manuka Honey."

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
Lol ! Noooo that stuff doesn't work at all hahaha

Yeah that stuff is overpriced doodoo lol. :p

Ewwwww! But fascinating and informative. Thanks for sharing the find.

I have done this before, the lance and purge part, with my dog. I took him to the vet and it regrew like 2 months later. Several hundred dollars and back again? So I used a black salve (google what that is) to get it to "pop" if you will. Took 3 days. Like a massive, fatty whitehead. Well, like that poor little tortoise. Then I did the same syringe and flush with distilled water. After that, I used manuka honey from New Zealand. It is quite an awesome honey because I believe it comes from the tea tree flowers and we know how wonderful tea tree is for wounds. Plus it keeps the wound open and draining. If the wound closes too quickly it may encase some yukky stuff and you still have a future problem that will fester again. Possibly what happened with the vet visit. It was not all removed. Anyhow, I then cleaned/flushed 3 times a day and then patted some manuka honey afterwards. Good stuff. Not cheap. I think an 8 ounce jar was 35 bucks, it has a high UMF of 20+ but .... Works. Like.
Might be good as a facial, too! : )

Here is some info about manuka from WebMD.

Hydrogen peroxide is a component of honey. It gives most honey its antibiotic quality. But some types of honey, including manuka honey, also have other components with antibacterial qualities. The major antibacterial component in manuka honey is methylglyoxal (MG). MG is a compound found in most types of honey, but usually only in small quantities. In manuka honey, MG comes from the conversion of another compound -- dihydroxyacetone -- that is found in high concentration in the nectar of manuka flowers. MG is thought to give manuka honey its antibacterial power. The higher the concentration of MG, the stronger the antibiotic effect. Honey producers have developed a scale for rating the potency of manuka honey. The rating is called UMF, which stands for Unique Manuka Factor. The UMF rating corresponds with the concentration of MG. Not all honey labeled as manuka honey contains significant levels of MG. To be considered potent enough to be therapeutic, manuka honey needs a minimum rating of 10 UMF. Honey at or above that level is marketed as "UMF Manuka Honey" or "Active Manuka Honey."

Interesting. :)

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Those poor animals! I'm so glad there are professional people in this world who help them.

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES