Acceptable Enclosure??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borys_Netasha

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florence, AL
My Russian Torts are getting way to big for the tank they are currently in (20gallon :(). My Beardy is in a 40 gallon breeder, which is the size I'm sure they need to be in. The problem is, I still live at home and do not have room for another 40 gallon. I did not know that the torts would grow as quickly as they have. :( I went tank shopping yesterday and found a rabbit cage that was about the size I need... My question is, would it be ok to put two Russians in that cage, or is there a chance they could hurt themselves in it?? I do not want to put them in anything that will hurt them, they are my babies, but they need a larger home....

This is a link to the cage I am asking about------>( http://www.petco.com/product/13394/...LN_Shopping_SmallAnimalSupplies_Rabbits_Cages )

Thank you so much for your help! :)

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Welcome to the forum! Best Tortoise forum by far.

Ok. Your Beardie will outgrow that 40 in no time. Start thinking of a wishlist for new cages. I'll give some Beardie choices in a minute.

Depending on how much room you have you can build your own Tortoise table out of a bookcase and waterproof the inside with 60 minute epoxy like that for ponds (pond armor .com). Recommend new cage 48 X 24. Foot deep is all you need. if 12 inches can keep 100 year old Aldabras in place then it can keep a Russian. They need room to run and that room will get eaten up quickly by the habitat accessories.

Maccourt Ponds has a mortar tub that is 36 X 24 X 8 or 9 high. Sold at Lowz for $12. In the picture are my 3 yearling Greeks chilling like villains on Labor Day in that tub.

Try to provide an area for growing fresh sprouts. I honestly have upgraded my flats to oil drain pans ($3) (same pan in the pic) because they provide the depth to encourage healthy root systems to keep providing fresh growths.

Your best bet for the Beardie is a stackable Reptile cage such as Showcase cages .com. Which by the way, will make a great Tortoise table. Inert material with a deep area to keep moist mulch. Easy access. The lighting is accessible without unstacking. The spot lamp areas are recessed into the cage to provide a true heat gradient. I'm sure the resale value will be unbeatable if you choose the 48".

I've got 2 of these on order for my snakes. Too classy not to invest in. Stand wise, I'm having a Master Welder friend make me a stand out of 1" square stock. Cheaper, stronger and better looking. he did an awesome job for my Super Tort Table stand (96 X 48).

You can always put the Tort table on top of the Beardie cage, providing you have side access.

DSC00956.jpg

DSC00957.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If its at all possible, your Russian tortoises should be outside. When you have to keep them indoors, quite a few people use the rabbit cage set up. But sunshine and more space do wonders for the tortoises mental well-being.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I used something similar to that cage for my russian at first. he drove me nuts! trying to get out. It offered protection for him outside with the top, but all he did was climb and walk in circles.. i went for the plastic swimming pool. it was too heavy to move once I got soil etc in it and i had to poke hole in the bottom to let it drain, but it worked great. Outside is best if you can provide protection from predators, lrg birds, dogs, raccoons etc.. my russian is currently outside in a space about 4x8, and he does great.
Look on craigs list for cheap cages or a book case. yard sales etc. if you lay the book case down, remove the shelves and line it with a sheet of plastic, shower curtain of paint cloth.. that works great, but it does take up room..

Borys_Netasha

5 Year Member
Florence, AL
Unfortunately I can't keep them outside. I have a pit/lab and a German Shepherd that weigh about 100 lbs each. =( I will try to make an outside one for them when ever I get to move out, though..! =)

That's what mine are doing in their current tank, they hit the side and circle it. They are better than an alarm clock!

LoL. That is my main problem right now, I do not have room for a big enclosure for them yet. =( That's why I was hoping the cage would work..

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I myself have never done one, but if you have limited room, how about making an enclosure that has two layers with a ramp for them to climb up to the second floor? Several in here have done that and they seem to work okay.

Borys_Netasha

5 Year Member
Florence, AL
I thought about doing that, but I was afraid that they would fall off the ramp and hurt themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.