Scratching on cage

Amaripop

Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
(Please dont bash me i know the set up is disgusting im still working on getting more stuff) Bought a new tank today because she kept scratching on the cage ANDD i was told that the 40 gallon tank was too small (which i definitely agreed on) so i got the 51 gallon tank which that was all that the store had. Its wood with ventilating sides since i knew they dont too much like glass….make the long story short she continues to scratch on her new home…any reasons why? Btw she’s a Russian tortoise.

Attachments

• IMG_2034.jpeg
    IMG_2034.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First the water dish is wrong. Need a clay saucer so they don't have to climb to get to water and yours is also a flip and drowning hazard.
Second, if it's an adult Russian, it needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot enclosure. Aquariums are good for hatchlings, not adults.
What type of lighting are you using? Mercury vapor bulbs, halogen bulbs and coil bulbs are bad. You need a tube florescent for uvb, incandescent flood for basking and ceramic heat emitter for any needed day heat and night heat
Basking temp needs to be 95-100 at one end of enclosure. The rest of the enclosure should range 75-80 and night heat not lower than 70 seeing you are not brumating him. Also needs to be bright during the day to keep him up. Until you can improve the size of enclosure, block the lower portion of glass so he can't see out.
Make changes if needed ASAP.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Russian tortoise need a minimum of 4x8 feet. This enclosure might be slightly bigger than the last one, but its still a quarter of the size needed.

Glass is not a problem. That is a myth. Small enclosures are a problem. That is not a myth.

What lights are in those hoods? If you are using a cfl, those can sometimes burn their eyes and cause this behavior.

Coco fiber is safe, but you need three times that much and then you need to hand pack it down. Its too fluffy.

Go through this, and look for the temperate care sheet at the bottom:

Amaripop

South Carolina
Russian tortoise need a minimum of 4x8 feet. This enclosure might be slightly bigger than the last one, but its still a quarter of the size needed.

Glass is not a problem. That is a myth. Small enclosures are a problem. That is not a myth.

What lights are in those hoods? If you are using a cfl, those can sometimes burn their eyes and cause this behavior.

Coco fiber is safe, but you need three times that much and then you need to hand pack it down. Its too fluffy.

Go through this, and look for the temperate care sheet at the bottom:
I had a feeling i needed more but i was just going with my gut. Lucky i have more, and patting it down is no problem. I wish i knew the type of bulb but i know it isnt the right one i dont know how to check the type of bulb. I really appreciate you.

Amaripop

South Carolina
First the water dish is wrong. Need a clay saucer so they don't have to climb to get to water and yours is also a flip and drowning hazard.
Second, if it's an adult Russian, it needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot enclosure. Aquariums are good for hatchlings, not adults.
What type of lighting are you using? Mercury vapor bulbs, halogen bulbs and coil bulbs are bad. You need a tube florescent for uvb, incandescent flood for basking and ceramic heat emitter for any needed day heat and night heat
Basking temp needs to be 95-100 at one end of enclosure. The rest of the enclosure should range 75-80 and night heat not lower than 70 seeing you are not brumating him. Also needs to be bright during the day to keep him up. Until you can improve the size of enclosure, block the lower portion of glass so he can't see out.
Make changes if needed ASAP.
Thank you so much!! I got this water bowl because i didnt want her to get it dirty and she struggles so ill be soaking her daily until i can get another water bowl. I still havent gotten those lights yet i was so focused on getting the tank like you told me but ill get it asap!! And ill be sure to find something to put at the bottom…i have sliding doors btw. I appreciate you for always helping!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I had a feeling i needed more but i was just going with my gut. Lucky i have more, and patting it down is no problem. I wish i knew the type of bulb but i know it isnt the right one i dont know how to check the type of bulb. I really appreciate you.
Take photos and we will assist you

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You were told back in September what was needed. You didn't change anything but a bigger enclosure which still isn't the proper size you were told. For the price of that new, too small enclosure, you could have gotten the correct lights and water dish and for a little more, could have built a proper sized enclosure. A pop up portable greenhouse can be found for under hundred dollars.
If you don't have the room for a 4x8 then make it a two level enclosure to give enough room.