Adding variety without a garden...

Justin90

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hello, being new to taking care of a Dalmatian tortoise, I am trying to provide a healthy diet. The pet store that I got the tort from, suggested the food they sell, of course, which I'm not using. I have the tort for less than a week and I've been feeding her a spring mix, which she loves. She doesn't care for carrots. I will be trying bell peppers today.

I've read that I shouldn't feed her the spring mix all the time. Say I feed her spring mix every other day or so, what should I use the other times. I'm not able to have a garden right now, so really the food would be coming from the store. But I plan on taking her outside as much as possible (she currently lives indoors).

Also, how much should I feed her and how often? The other day i gave her a decent amount and she ate it all except for a couple leaves. I watched her very carefully while she walked around the room for a while. I put her back in her enclosure and she finished off the couple leaves, so I gave her a little more and she ate all that as well.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here's a list of food items to choose from:

Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If she is a little one, feed a big hand full twice a day. I feed my leopards yearly twice a day. As it gets bigger, around 2-3 years I will cut back to once a day. I feed enough that a little is left over.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
if you are limited right now to grocery stores they do sell a wide variety of different greens such as dandelions, mustard, turnip, radish and so on.