Adopting any tortoises that need a home in south Florida

Littleredfootbigredheart

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hey yea I have experience with almost all tortoises and all tortoises I’ve had have always been social and good with each other you just need the right amount of space and the right habitat , all tortoises are unique and have their own personalities
I’m presuming you don’t mean mixing species and housing them together? Sorry I only ask because people do that and it’s really not a good idea😣
I am seeing some concerns in the photos too, like housing and feeding them on sand, is it acres of land you have for all these groups? Because the amount you have you must have acres..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
all my red foot babies have been born outside and kept outside and I still have them all super nice and healthy growing with no probems. I’m sure there are other species that do better indoors and in a controlled environment , and if I come across one of those tortoises I would absolutely keep them indoors but for red foots and Sulcatas I have raised them all outside with no problems.and yes species can be mixed you just need to do it right , you can’t believe everything you read online and on here .
I'm not believing anything I read online or anywhere else. I'm trying to impart knowledge to you that I have learned first hand, the hard way, over many decades of keeping, breeding, and raising 1000s of tortoises.

You are wrong, and you will eventually find this out the hard way. I too did it wrong for many years. I learned better. You now have the opportunity to learn better too. I've led you to water. I cannot make you drink.

Evansky

FL
The sand is a basking area and also for them to lay eggs if they have too I had some cactuses 🌵 growing there , and the only thing I have mixed is the red foots with the female smaller Sulcatas and everyone’s doing fine they’ve been like that they’re whole lives , I’m sure if this is done wrong chaos would ensue but trust me I know what I’m doing , I’m sure you guys are traumatized by other people before doing all sorts of nutty things but I’m good i know these things 🙂‍↕️

Evansky

FL
This went from a rescue to needing to be rescued. Nobody likes to be told they’re doing things wrong ( im one of them) but sometimes you just have to swallow ur pride for the sake of the animal.
Haha that’s funny man you guys are funny , listen I’m just saying I have some space for any tortoises that need a home and they will be taken care of exceptionally. I’m not here looking and begging for anything , if there’s no tortoise here to help then I’m good don’t worry about my babies they’re perfectly fine and super happy I promise you that .

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
Haha that’s funny man you guys are funny , listen I’m just saying I have some space for any tortoises that need a home and they will be taken care of exceptionally. I’m not here looking and begging for anything , if there’s no tortoise here to help then I’m good don’t worry about my babies they’re perfectly fine and super happy I promise you that .
Thank you! I do comedy on the side.. so give me a good reference

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They aren't fine, except in your own head. Mixing sulcata with much less aggressive RF is deadly for the RF. Besides the fact they are under constant stress and likely not the size they should be. But you know it all!

Evansky

FL
They aren't fine, except in your own head. Mixing sulcata with much less aggressive RF is deadly for the RF. Besides the fact they are under constant stress and likely not the size they should be. But you know it all!
What you mean all of them are proper size and the Sulcatas interacting with the red foots are females , all of them in the photos are females I only have one male , there is no aggression here at all ,and what other way is there to tell if they’re fine or not ? lol talk to them ? Bruh come on lol they’re physically and emotionally good and healthy what else do you want ?

Evansky

FL
You just think they aren’t fine because you read somewhere that you can’t do this and that and you have to live and die by these rules , but it’s not like that man life is beautiful bruh anything is possible

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
No one is wrong here.
@Evansky is in a rare situation and lives near myself. In an absence of predators and with our nearly ideal climate, I've also kept RF hatchlings that hatched and thrived outdoors and did very well.
Of course a controlled environment can and does eliminate many issues and many dangers. But being in the right place. Set up correctly is not just possible. It's been pretty easy to do.
Otherwise I'd pile on the remarks about the dangers. Etc.
It's great advice and almost always my side of the conversation.
In this case, it isn't. At least not fully.
My experience has been an exception to this particular rule. This member has actually taken in a few rescue females I had a few years ago.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No one is wrong here.
@Evansky is in a rare situation and lives near myself. In an absence of predators and with our nearly ideal climate, I've also kept RF hatchlings that hatched and thrived outdoors and did very well.
Of course a controlled environment can and does eliminate many issues and many dangers. But being in the right place. Set up correctly is not just possible. It's been pretty easy to do.
Otherwise I'd pile on the remarks about the dangers. Etc.
It's great advice and almost always my side of the conversation.
In this case, it isn't. At least not fully.
Really! Even with mixing species? I wouldn't recommend just for that alone. Not to mention the fact he ignores the questions about space!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Just cause it’s your way doesn’t mean it’s the right way .
Actually it's almost ALWAYS the case.
But your situation and location make this more palatable. And it's something I've had success with also.
Just for safeties sake and to stop any confusion, my regular advice on the matter stands with the collective here.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Really! Even with mixing species? I wouldn't recommend just for that alone. Not to mention the fact he ignores the questions about space!
No.
Species mixing is a no-no. Even for taking a photo.
I'm only making an exception for the baby Redfoot keeping outdoors in south eastern Florida in the suburbs.
Sulcata need a huge area.
Hopefully the photo is not indicative of the total area.

Evansky

FL
Actually it's almost ALWAYS the case.
But your situation and location make this more palatable. And it's something I've had success with also.
Just for safeties sake and to stop any confusion, my regular advice on the matter stands with the collective here.
lol I see I see , ok I understand and I agree with you it’s because of our location that I had success with this and it should it be replicated elsewhere I agree 100 👍