Adult Sulcata Night Box- Humidity Questions

Nemytort

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hello all,

I have a 14 year old sulcata in a nightbox with a hygrometer that is reading low (like 20%) I read that they need something like 50% for adults. I have a tub of water in there, but it isn’t enough. I want to raise the humidity in his enclosure, but I’m worried about misting the enclosure and using damp substrate because the inside of the box, the plywood floor, is not treated with anything. I don’t want to create any mold. Should I treat it? Line it? The floor is currently covered in dirt.

Thank you so much for any advice!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I have the same problem with humidity inside the houses for my sulcatas. I tried the containers with water in them and it wasn't very beneficial. So what I do now is feed a wet diet and hydrate them internally during the winter months. Been doing this for years now and it seems to work fine.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I have the same problem with humidity inside the houses for my sulcatas. I tried the containers with water in them and it wasn't very beneficial. So what I do now is feed a wet diet and hydrate them internally during the winter months. Been doing this for years now and it seems to work fine.

Do you soak them at all, or just offer water? Vlad seems to spills his water bowls as soon as I fill them, so it is hard to keep water available to him all the time

Len B

10 Year Member!
P
Do you soak them at all, or just offer water? Vlad seems to spills his water bowls as soon as I fill them, so it is hard to keep water available to him all the time

Some people on TFO don't like me to say this but I don't soak my tortoises after about 6 months old. Walker has never been soaked mainly because back in 1996 no one knew it helped. Plus I didn't see him drinking water until he was 8 years old. Both Donald and Thomas haven't been soaked since about 6 months old. The wet diet works and I think they are good examples to show that it does.

Nemytort

Arizona
P

Some people on TFO don't like me to say this but I don't soak my tortoises after about 6 months old. Walker has never been soaked mainly because back in 1996 no one knew it helped. Plus I didn't see him drinking water until he was 8 years old. Both Donald and Thomas haven't been soaked since about 6 months old. The wet diet works and I think they are good examples to show that it does.
Making a 45 lb sulcata soak is a difficult task. I try in the summer by coaxing him in his pool with a colorful treat. If he stays in the water is up to him.

Len B

10 Year Member!
I just went out to get pictures of Walkers water bowls KIMG2980~2.JPGKIMG2981~2.JPGThey come in different sizes to fit your need. He moves them around but has never turned one over. He's big enough to walk over these but usually gets at least one foot in it as he passes over it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I built my box based on his guide, all I know is he does put a container of water in there. Perhaps I need a big container.
Yes he does but I can't remember what he uses. I have seen them before in some of his pictures. If you can find those pictures you might see what he uses.
Otherwise, he should be getting an alert to this thread I sent him and he will answer.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Yes he does but I can't remember what he uses. I have seen them before in some of his pictures. If you can find those pictures you might see what he uses.
Otherwise, he should be getting an alert to this thread I sent him and he will answer.
I seem to remember that pic. If I recall correctly, he had a ReptiFogger in a Tupperware container sitting on a shelf.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I put water in tubs on shelves. This is one of my star boxes. I couldn't find a good pic of a sulcata box. I do NOT use heat lamps, Pond Shield, or substrate with the sulcata or leopard boxes. I only do these things in boxes meant to house little tortoises that need to stay over 80% humidity, you know, like Burmese stars. :)
IMG_5596.JPG

If your box is not sealed, insulated, or weather stripped enough, the heat will run more and dry everything out more. My heaters seldom turn on. Only two or three times a night usually. I have no problem maintaining 60-70% humidity with the water tubs.

@Nemytort How are you heating your box?

You never had any issues with mold or anything growing in a wooden box?
I don't. I had the bottom of a leopard box rot out after about 10 years, because those girls constantly peed and made a mess in there. I just dried it all out and put a plywood patch over the affected area. 10 more years now.

I had some wood rot in the star box shown above too because I did a poor job of working with the Pond Shield and there were gaps in the coverage. I like that stuff, but it is NOT easy to work with and you need a lot of it for waterproof coverage. Subsequent boxes turned out much better and have not rotted at all because I used the product correctly on them.

But to answer the above question: No mold ever in any of my boxes, treated or untreated.

SafariWoman

Illinois
When you say "wet diet" what kind of foods are you referring to? Thank you.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Making a 45 lb sulcata soak is a difficult task. I try in the summer by coaxing him in his pool with a colorful treat. If he stays in the water is up to him.

When you say "wet diet" what kind of foods are you referring to? Thank you.
This time of year I'm feeding rehydrated grass and weeds that I collected and dried last spring and summer and soaked mazuri along with cucumbers, opuntia cactus, ripe cactus fruit and some collard greens. I also offer them lettuces from time to time. KIMG2969.JPGKIMG2952.JPGEach of the younger ones get a plate like these but Walker is not fed on a plate. Plus he gets a lot more.

SafariWoman

Illinois
Wow, those are works of art! You certainly put a lot of effort into preparing their meals. Lucky torts! I used to be able to buy fresh cactus fruit at my grocery store in the summer but can't find it anywhere now (I live in frigid Illinois). Do you know of a supplier that I could order from? Thank you again for your help.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Wow, those are works of art! You certainly put a lot of effort into preparing their meals. Lucky torts! I used to be able to buy fresh cactus fruit at my grocery store in the summer but can't find it anywhere now (I live in frigid Illinois). Do you know of a supplier that I could order from? Thank you again for your help.
No I don't of any suppliers, I grow mine. If you want to start growing hardy cactus message me I may be able to help.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
P

I'm with you. I don't soak my leopards in winter. They have the water bowl available to soak themselves and they do. In summer, they have the same water bowl plus I will flood an area of their outdoor enclosure for them to self soak.