humidity issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

big_red_tortoise

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
I have my redfoot in an enclosure that I built myself. Lately I have been noticing that his eyes are teary, which is an indication of low humidity. I have sphagnum moss on the bottom but even with multiple sprayings a day, I cant seem to keep the humidity high enough. I also am not home as much as before so I cant physically spray the enclosure as often. Has anyone ever used a misting machine of any kind?

I attached a photo of the enclosure. There is now moss over the whole floor.

Attachments

• DSCN0608-1.jpg
    DSCN0608-1.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 50

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Adding some plants either in small pots or artificial plants would help. Also, you may have to cover or partially cover the habitat.

Yvonne

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
High humidity is tough in an open-topped habitat. Options include:

- Use a warm mist vaporizer/humidifier to humidify the room, or attach some duct or large diameter tube to direct the output to the habitat.

- Create a humid hide. Take a plastic shoe box with lid, cut a tortoise-sized hole in the side, put an inch of damp moss in it, and park it in the warm end of the habitat.

- Buy or make a timed mister. Habba Mist (or something like that) is a good start.

- Cover some of the habitat. A loose plastic sheet 'tent' not touching the heater will trap a lot of heat and humidity- but it also contributes to bad air, so make sure there is good air flow.

- Using live plants, waterfalls, etc. and mixing and matching options.

Status
Not open for further replies.