Advice for brumating RT next winter?

Clueless Tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Raleigh, NC
Hi,

Now that winter is over (where I am) and the temperature is warming up, my RT (almost 14) is becoming more active and is getting ready to start running around again. This past winter I wanted to commit to brumating my RT but in all honesty, I didn't think it was a good idea because I don't know enough about creating the appropriate environment for him to brumate in successfully. Although he is very healthy and gets check-ups with his exotic vet 2x a year, I have never actually brumated him. I'm originally from CA so it never got even slightly cold enough for him to want to truly brumate, just wanting to sleep a bit more. Now that I live in a colder climate, I can see that he wants to brumate, and although I've done a lot of looking into this, I was afraid that I'd do it wrong. (The thought of putting him in the fridge gives me severe anxiety lol). Moving forward I would like to brumate him but I get so anxious about doing it wrong, so I'm asking now so I can learn as much as I can until next winter. That being said, what advice can any of you give regarding brumating an RT during the winter? It gets between 40 to 20 at night throughout the winter where I am so this is very very new to me. I just want to make sure everything goes okay and he's safe.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
Ask and ye shall receive...