Do Russian tortoises need to be brumated?

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
Is it mandatory to brumate Russian tortoises? I haven't brumated my Russian tortoise last winter and I was wondering if that will have an impact on his health.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is it mandatory to brumate Russian tortoises? I haven't brumated my Russian tortoise last winter and I was wondering if that will have an impact on his health.
The answer to your question, as worded, is no. No they do not "need" to be hibernated. It is not mandatory. They can survive and be fine without ever hibernating.

A different question, and more relevant in my opinion, is: Should they be hibernated? The answer to this one is debatable. Many people have different opinions. Here is mine: If a species would hibernate in the wild in their native range, then they should also hibernate in our captive conditions. They need to be hibernated correctly, and when this is the case, there is no more risk to them than keeping them awake all winter.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My answer is I do not hibernate nor brumate, whatever you want to call it mine.
He lives in winter in a green house in my basement. He has a daily basking light, uvb and one che for heat. All goes off at night.
He does have cooler spots in the enclosure to go too.
He eats less in the winter but still will roam daily for a short time.
I have no idea how old he is, I rescued him from a girl that no longer wanted him. She never hibernate him either.