Advice on creating first Sulcata enclosure please?

Courtney760

Location (City and/or State)
Marana, AZ
Hello all!

I’ve been doing so much research over the past few weeks on Sulcatas trying to learn everything I need to know before making the decision to add one to our family. Well, we finally made the decision to add one and am so happy and excited! The next set of eggs are expected to hatch in May and I’m going to reserve one from a legit and reputable breeder. So now I just need to set up a closed chamber to successfully raise our little hatchling when it gets here. I just have a few questions and any advice or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Im planning on getting a 48”L x 18”H storage tub for our hatchling to start off with.
- Should I get a solid color? Or is clear ok?
- What is the best method for creating a closed chamber with a storage tub to make sure I’m able to keep the humidity and heat in?

Im going to be getting a UVB mercury vapor basking bulb and a CHE.
- Which wattage for each bulb should I get based on the enclosure I’m trying to set up?
- What is the best placement for the basking bulb and CHE to create gradient heat?
- What is the best way to keep the bulbs situated inside the closed chamber? Clamps? Light stands?
-What is the hottest it should be under the basking bulb for a hatchling? I’ve read some places that it should be 100 directly under the basking bulb and other places I’ve seen them say 90. I just want to make sure I don’t hurt him, or worse.

Eventually we are going to create a large outdoor area for him/her where they can explore and hang out in different surroundings (supervised, of course!) and not be able to get lost or escape. We live right outside of Tucson, AZ where the hottest of days in summertime can get up to about 110 degrees. Is this type of heat safe for Sulcatas at any age? Especially hatchlings? We would make sure they had a soaking area, hide and a shady spot to relax. But even then the temp would be above 100. I’m just trying to prepare for the future when they are large enough to be living fully in the backyard. Would I need to create a summer/winter enclosure indoors for them? In the winter it gets down to the low 30’s some nights. When they started to get on the bigger side I had planned to go buy or build a large wooden enclosure as their hide outside and have 1-2 CHE’s in there. But I’m starting to wonder if that would keep it warm enough...

I know I have so many other questions, but I think I got the most important out of the way that I was unsure of. I’m also still browsing around posts in the forum to gain some more knowledge as well. Thank you everyone for your time and advice!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
-To make a closed chamber from a tub, simply cut holes in the top of the lid slightly smaller than the lamp fixture, and line them with foil.

-You can use either a solid or a clear tub, really doesn’t make much of a difference. Personally, I’d rather be able to see my tortoise.

-I would not get a mercury vapor bulb for a baby tortoise. They’re very desiccating on shells, which will cause them to dry out. Instead, get a 10.0 tube fluorescent, a flood bulb for basking, and a CHE on a thermostat to keep temps above 80.

Note that UVB bulbs are not required if you can get the tortoise outside a few times a week.

-Have the basking bulb on one side, the CHE in the middle since it’s just for ambiants, and the UVB strip across the cage in the back or front.

-you would likely need to have the heating on top of the tub, unless you screwed fixtures into the lid.

-basking temps for hatchlings can be anywhere around 95-100. 90 wouldn’t be terrible, either.

-hatchlings shouldn’t be outside more than an hour or two per day anyway, so as long as there’s deep shade, a water dish, and you soak after, it’ll be fine. Adults will be perfectly fine with shade, water, and occasional soaks.

-For cold nights and rainy days, all you need is a heated, insulated night box. Lights and CHEs will dry out and burn their shells when they are larger, so you will be relying on Kane heat mats, radiant heat panels, and oil heaters. Tom has some great night box threads.

Be sure to give these a read if you haven’t already-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/How-To-Raise-A-Healthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

What breeder are you buying from?

Courtney760

Marana, AZ
Thank you so much for all of your help! I will be buying from Arizona Sulcata. I tried looking at the breeder list I found on this forum to see some other options, but it said I was restricted.