Advice on Frequent Prolapsing

GreenFire719

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina, USA
Hi guys, I know I’ve mentioned it in a post before but I think I need some more advice. My box turtle, Io, has frequently prolapses. She gets them once a month or so and will go back in on it’s own after 5 minutes (she is female). I have brought her to the vet to get her looked at and she is not impacted or egg-bound. She has no necrosis to the tissue, I’m pretty good about keeping an eye on her when she soaks. Sugar pastes does work to reduce swelling when she has prolapsed for more that 15 minutes and she is always kept in a water bath when it happens to prevent drying. Today she prolapsed for significantly longer than normal (about two hours) and I had to help her push it back in. She is doing okay now, she everything looks normal and she’s very active and eating normally.
So my question is how should I address this issue. She is in great shape, healthy, and active so there is no need to put her down. Would a purse stitch be an option for her? I don’t know if she is big enough to get one since she is small but if it stops her from having a “bubble butt” I’d definitely consider it. Are there any other options to deal with prolapsing that can be done with her?
IMG_1556299995.224944.jpgIMG_1556300060.937668.jpgIMG_1556300075.798638.jpg
I did not take a picture of the prolapse before I helped her.
Thanks guys!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If it goes back in on its own, I wouldn't worry too much. She might have eggs or parasites or be a bit on the constipated side.

GreenFire719

North Carolina, USA
Just wanted to post an update on Io. She did go to the vet and got a xray, fecal test, and some blood work done to make sure everything was clear. She is not impacted and does not have eggs. They also saw no parasites in her fecal test but she was trying to fight of an infection. They are prescribing her metronidazole to hopefully help combat the infection and reduce inflammation in her GI. I will keep updates on her progress. Thanks!

GreenFire719

North Carolina, USA
Just wanted to post an update on Io. She did go to the vet and got a xray, fecal test, and some blood work done to make sure everything was clear. She is not impacted and does not have eggs. They also saw no parasites in her fecal test but she was trying to fight of an infection. They are prescribing her metronidazole to hopefully help combat the infection and reduce inflammation in her GI. I will keep updates on her progress. Thanks!

She’s doing so much better now that her round of antibiotics is over. You can just tell she’s feeling so much better, as well as the obvious lack of prolapsing. I’m also glad that she’s passing things normally again and had no damage done to her GI tract. Yay for happy ending!IMG_0850.jpg [emoji4]

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It's always nice to see a happy turtle. Seriously it looks like it is smiling

Madame Terrapene

Houston, TX
Hi there,

Even if she is having prolapses, it seems like you're managing the situation OK with keeping them moist and clean until they retract. A stitch may fix the issue, if it's a recurrent and progressing problem. Sometimes it's about balancing the risks with the advantages. As long as she can lay eggs if she needs to, then go ahead and stitch if need be.

Out of the like 25+ years that I've been keeping turtles, I've had two box turtles with issues back there: one a chunky female who seemed to be egg-bound prone, and another with young turtle who had an intestinal prolapse. The female egg-binding was solved by allowing her to brumate (lower winter temps and not feeding her for 3 months in the cold months), feeding her less overall and having her eat more wild greens, and allowing her to run around in a predator-proof pen outside early as soon as it's warm. The young intestinal prolapse was solved by not feeding so many fruits and giving them weekly private turtle baths in lukewarm water to allow them to poop in private without stress from their tankmates (I house many young turtles together). The young intestinal prolapse I kept moist in isotonic saline (which you can buy in a spray can from Walgreens or any first aid aisle...it's the Saline Wound Wash stuff). The egg-bound female had needed invasive care from two experienced turtle vets until I fixed my husbandry issue and now she lays eggs no problem. Sometimes it may seem like we are unable to find a resolution, until we change husbandry and the issue resolves.

Good luck with Io, she looks like she's in good hands. Please email me if you have any questions! [email protected]

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Hi there,

Even if she is having prolapses, it seems like you're managing the situation OK with keeping them moist and clean until they retract. A stitch may fix the issue, if it's a recurrent and progressing problem. Sometimes it's about balancing the risks with the advantages. As long as she can lay eggs if she needs to, then go ahead and stitch if need be.

Out of the like 25+ years that I've been keeping turtles, I've had two box turtles with issues back there: one a chunky female who seemed to be egg-bound prone, and another with young turtle who had an intestinal prolapse. The female egg-binding was solved by allowing her to brumate (lower winter temps and not feeding her for 3 months in the cold months), feeding her less overall and having her eat more wild greens, and allowing her to run around in a predator-proof pen outside early as soon as it's warm. The young intestinal prolapse was solved by not feeding so many fruits and giving them weekly private turtle baths in lukewarm water to allow them to poop in private without stress from their tankmates (I house many young turtles together). The young intestinal prolapse I kept moist in isotonic saline (which you can buy in a spray can from Walgreens or any first aid aisle...it's the Saline Wound Wash stuff). The egg-bound female had needed invasive care from two experienced turtle vets until I fixed my husbandry issue and now she lays eggs no problem. Sometimes it may seem like we are unable to find a resolution, until we change husbandry and the issue resolves.

Good luck with Io, she looks like she's in good hands. Please email me if you have any questions! [email protected]
Why are we emailing? Most questions are answered here on the forum so everyone can learn.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
She’s doing so much better now that her round of antibiotics is over. You can just tell she’s feeling so much better, as well as the obvious lack of prolapsing. I’m also glad that she’s passing things normally again and had no damage done to her GI tract. Yay for happy ending!View attachment 272988 [emoji4]
Love the hat! :D She's styling'!!!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Thanks! I actually have a picture of her wearing a paper hat I made. Let me fish it out for you XD
View attachment 273596View attachment 273597
So if you were ever wondering, that’s what a turtle in a hat looks like.
OHMYGOSH!!!!!!
I LOVE this!!!!!!!
Absolutely PRICELESS!!!!!
Oooh: PLEASE see if you can take a brighter photo in the "landscape" mode to submit for the calendar competition in the Fall!!!!
She'd get my vote!!!!!:):):):):):<3: