Advice on new indoor enclosure for Russian tort

TeganTallullah

I am buying a new indoor enclosure for my Russian tortoise, who is 4.5 years old. I'm not sure which kind is best, and I have a fairly limited budget, can't afford more than a maximum of £60.

Do you think this one looks okay? Any advice much appreciated.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40-x19-x8...599194?hash=item3f4ef4b35a:g:D7kAAOSwBahVPP6d

I've seen on this site that many people keep very large closed tanks but this isn't really doable in my flat, and I've also read that an open table is acceptable for Russians this age as long as they have proper substrate and a closed hide.

Thanks!

Attachments

• tortoise table 1.JPG
    tortoise table 1.JPG
    352.4 KB · Views: 51

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
You'll be able to build something much cheaper and larger than you can buy. You don't have to be that handy to stick a few pieces of wood together and line them. Most people here wouldn't recommend any of the pre-made tortoise houses given how small they are for their value.

Reactions: Tom

AnimalLady

I agree with the above. You can make something bigger for about the same price, if not cheaper. Is the tort only going to be inside? For outside, cinder blocks are very cheap and get the job done. For inside, i have seen people convert all sorts of things. You could go to a thrift store and get an old bookcase flip it over and BAM!

I personally think thats a bit small for an adult Russian... i learned on here from Yvonne that although the Russian torts are small in size, in the wild they cover a lot of grounds, and they should not be housed in small-ish enclosures.

AnimalLady

Thinking about it again.. ive also seen people buy those rubbermaid tubs and connect them together. I'm not sure that would be cost effective though, the tubs are about $50 a pop..

TeganTallullah

Thanks both of you.. I have seen some really awesome home-made enclosures too. My only issue is I really don't have the time or skill to make one, and also I don't have the space for one much larger than this. A couple inches bigger would be fine but otherwise I won't have enough space. I know it's not ideal. Sometime next year I will be able to move into a bigger flat - hopefully with an outside area for Coco - but for now I'm quite limited.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tegan, I am sure your intentions are good, but russian tortoises need a lot of space to roam. If you are not able to give it what it needs, then the right thing to do would be find it a home that can give it what it needs and look into pets with smaller space requirements. Tortoises are not the right pet for everyone. People with limited space and budgets really ought to consider other pets. The animals need what they need. The tortoise shouldn't suffer because you are low on space or funds.

I wouldn't want to see you have to give up your pet, so I'm sure with some creative thinking you can find a way to give it a larger enclosure in your flat. I lived in a tiny house for several years and half my living room was a tortoise enclosure. Surely there must be a way to do it. 40x19" would be fine for a tiny hatchling, but an older one will need at least 3x6', and preferably 4x8'. This is about priorities. Surely you can eat your meals on the couch with a TV tray, and give your tortoise the entire area where the dinner table now sits, right?

ankit2111

I am also finding please recommend me my turtle house

Attachments

• 1463112037697.jpg
    1463112037697.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 29

CoffeeBean

Cheshire, UK
I would highly suggest going to Ikea and get a cheap kids bookshelf..(Also Argos sells) I purchased one not long ago for £17 measuring 3ft by 2ft! Works a treat. All you gotta do is place the bookshelf on its back. Perfect enclosure for your little fella.