Advice On My New Russian Tortoise Indoor Habitat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaddestMarie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bronx,NY
-I currently have an Easter Box Turtle housing with my Russian Tortoise. Someone had informed me that both of them cannot be together in one tank. So today my husband && i went shopping. I bought a rubbermaid under the bed bin. Its size is 74Qts/70L (44"x19 3/4"x6 3/8"). We layered the bin with Eco Earth Coconut Fiber && T-Rex Jungle Bed Premium Blend (Coco Bark, Forest Bed, Calci-Sand, && Vermiculite). I used the whole 8Quarts of the EcoEarth && only 2Quarts of the Jungle Bed. We bought a Thermometer && Hydrometer. Also we bought the Flukers water feeder. I currently am going to make a hide away for my Russian && plant some Aloe in little pots for his habitat. The picture i provided is the habitat at the moment. Its only 25% done since i have plenty more to add. I would love for any suggestions or advice i can use for my new habitat before i put my Russian in it. REMEMBER: This isnt the final result for the habitat. I have plenty more i need to put into it. The pictures are only what it looks like as of right now.

Attachments

• image-528758429.png
    image-528758429.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 336
  • image-868931990.png
    image-868931990.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 271
  • image-629091458.png
    image-629091458.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 198

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Looks very nice. Watch substrate with vermiculite, sometimes they eat that, but I couldn't really see it in your pic. The Eco earth is a good substrate.
If you have any problems with the tort trying to climb out, one suggestion is to cut most of the middle out of the lid and leave a rim and snap it back on, and you have an edge.
Eventually you can add at least 2 hides, try a garden pot turned on edge.
Looking forward to seeing more pics!

BaddestMarie

5 Year Member
Bronx,NY
lynnedit said:
Looks very nice. Watch substrate with vermiculite, sometimes they eat that, but I couldn't really see it in your pic. The Eco earth is a good substrate.
If you have any problems with the tort trying to climb out, one suggestion is to cut most of the middle out of the lid and leave a rim and snap it back on, and you have an edge.
Eventually you can add at least 2 hides, try a garden pot turned on edge.
Looking forward to seeing more pics!

- The lid that came with the bin was pretty cool. It lets me lift up only half of the lid so that half of the bin is open && the other half closed.

BaddestMarie

5 Year Member
Bronx,NY
jackrat said:
The vermiculite is the only problem I see.

-Whats wrong with Vermiculite? I didnt put Vermiculite in there by its self. It was a pre mixture i had bought. If it was harmful, i dont think they would sell it at PETCO.

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
BaddestMarie said:
-Whats wrong with Vermiculite? I didnt put Vermiculite in there by its self. It was a pre mixture i had bought. If it was harmful, i dont think they would sell it at PETCO.

Tortoises may eat the substrate by accident if they drag their food in it or sometimes some torts just eat it. So even if the vermiculite isn't by itself they can still eat it. I think the biggest worry is that if your tort eat it it may cause impaction.

And regarding Petco, they sell plenty of items that are harmful for animals IMO.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
BaddestMarie said:
jackrat said:
The vermiculite is the only problem I see.

I feel so bad for you, everytime you try to do the right thing, you find out it's not so right.
I wish I knew of a way to remove the vermiculite and save what you have tried so hard to do.
Honestly, I can not see any vermiculite in the pictures.

Let me just say you're doing a great job by trying to do the right thing.

Good luck.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
It is true Petco does not always get reptile care right. Other reptiles may not be prone to eat vermiculite (I think some are concerned it could expand once inside the tort). But you can't really see it in the substrate, so just take a look and pick out any you can see, just monitor it.
That aside, you have done MANY things right in your enclosure: the rest of the substrate, the enclosure, the water dish, your plans for the hide and plants. So you are doing a very good job, including starting with separating your boxie and RT. :)
One other plant you could consider (among others) is a Spider plant. If you can keep it in a sturdy pot and bury the pot in the substrate, it may have a chance. They do like hanging out under a 'grass like' plant, but also mowing them down! :p
Keep asking questions, it is a process of learning for all of us. Your tort/turtle are already much better off than most in captivity.
Good work!

BaddestMarie

5 Year Member
Bronx,NY
-I just want to say thank you for your support && advice. I looked at pictures of Verniculite && i honestly dont see any in my habitat. Maybe its just a really small amount.

mer001

5 Year Member
Virginia Beach, VA
I have a Russian and the only advice I see fit it that they LOVE to climb, dig, etc. I would focus on making sure your tort cant reach the top of the enclosure because it looks rather short. Other than that, it looks like a great work in progress! It is always exciting to introduce a tort to a new home :)

BaddestMarie

5 Year Member
Bronx,NY
-Okay. So i decided to do a test run on my new habitat today. I made a hideaway but im not sure if this is gonna be the actual one im going to use. I took pictures as you can see. Also i had to change his food plate because he tried to bite it :(

Closer look.

Attachments

• image-3845516580.png
    image-3845516580.png
    349.1 KB · Views: 135
  • image-248463154.png
    image-248463154.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 101
  • image-1583588038.png
    image-1583588038.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 84
  • image-812596315.png
    image-812596315.png
    327.8 KB · Views: 80

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
I think this is looking very good. The only thing missing is a heat lamp and UVB.

jwhite

5 Year Member
west milwaukee,wi
I think your enclosure looks good. I use the same type of enclosure for my hatchlings they work great and are easy to clean. I can't really tell how deep your substrate is so I will say try give to give your tortoise as deep a substrate as possible because they really like to burrow. none of my hatchlings even use the hides they prefer to just dig themselves down into the substrate.

Jon

BaddestMarie

5 Year Member
Bronx,NY
-The substrate is pretty deep. He already started digging :) I have lamps but this is a test run && im not sure if hes gonna stay in this habitat today.

Hes still chowing down :)

Attachments

• image-1883806311.png
    image-1883806311.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 38

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
BaddestMarie said:
-Does anyone know where i can buy a garden pot for cheap?
They're usually under $5 depending on the size. Any home improvement or Michaels's craft store. Terra-cotta pots works well.

BaddestMarie

5 Year Member
Bronx,NY
Momof4 said:
They're usually under $5 depending on the size. Any home improvement or Michaels's craft store. Terra-cotta pots works well.

I want the terracotta one but my russian is pretty wide so i got to look for a medium sized pot. I looked at home dept online && they want like $10 for a small pot :(

Status
Not open for further replies.