russian tortoise habitat

Status
Not open for further replies.

izzy2208

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
illinois
Hi everybody! I have had my russian tortoise for almost 7 years now and am wondering if I am missing anything or if there is anything that can make it seem more like his natural habitat. In his tank I have timothy hay,a heat lamp,a mini pond/waterdish that is big enough for him to get in but not deep,a log,and a food dish. Can I make a home-made tortoise table? I appreciate any help that I can get.

izzy2208

5 Year Member
illinois
Ok,thanks! Do you know what temperature it should be in there.

jane_goblin

5 Year Member
izzy2208 said:
Ok,thanks! Do you know what temperature it should be in there.

Well the basking spot in mine is about 95 degrees and the rest of his tank is my house's temp, somewhere around 70 degrees. Also if you do put a thermometer in there put it near his shell height. :D

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
izzy2208 said:
Hi everybody! I have had my russian tortoise for almost 7 years now and am wondering if I am missing anything or if there is anything that can make it seem more like his natural habitat. In his tank I have timothy hay,a heat lamp,a mini pond/waterdish that is big enough for him to get in but not deep,a log,and a food dish. Can I make a home-made tortoise table? I appreciate any help that I can get.

is the Timothy hay the substrate? if so, you must change it. no tortoise should be housed on any hay. and Russian tortoises LOVE to dig and burrow, its what they do. replace it with coco coir, it comes in bricks at petco. give him a good 3" so he can bury himself :) you can mix it with sterile dirt as well.

also, a tortoise needs sunlight to digest its food properly. does your tort get time outside or do you have a uvb light?

Status
Not open for further replies.