Advice On My New Russian Tortoise Indoor Habitat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
Yeah, I hear ya. I went to Lowe's on Long Island and they charged me almost $50 for 3 saucers...

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
BaddestMarie said:
jackrat said:
The vermiculite is the only problem I see.

-Whats wrong with Vermiculite? I didnt put Vermiculite in there by its self. It was a pre mixture i had bought. If it was harmful, i dont think they would sell it at PETCO.

I know this has already been pointed out, but I just wanted to reiterate that this is a very DANGEROUS and detrimental way to look at stores like Petco and Petsmart. Yes, they absolutely positively will sell things that are harmful. I have seen it in 100's of products, and not only for tortoises.

Vermiculite is dangerous because it poses an impaction risk, as does the calci sand. If eaten it can build up in your tortoise's intestinal tract and kill him. Because calci sand is made to be "edible," it has a pleasing flavor and smell, which can actually entice a tortoise to eat it. If you are going to use sand at all, natural play sand is a much better choice, because they are a lot less likely to want to munch on it.

Petstores tell people that their tortoise will get all of its water from its food - not true. Petstores sell little 2.5 gallon aquariums as "goldfish" set ups with pictures of goldfish on the front of them - these fish have a 25 year life span if kept properly, in those tiny tanks, 2 years is the norm. Petstores tell people that they should keep their tortoises on alfalfa pellets - resulting in bone deformities and respiratory infections from mold spores. They even sell "kits" with the alfalfa pellet bedding in them. Petstores sell compact florescent UV bulbs - these have been known to blind reptiles. Petstores sell "heat rocks" for iguanas - these result in serious burns and sometimes death.

Please understand I am not picking at you - I am writing all these things for other people's benefit as well. We have a lot of members that read these threads. But it is very important to understand that you are much better off taking advice from us than a petstore. Why is that? First, our cumulative experience. Second, a petstore wants to sell you things and make money. We have nothing to gain from telling you to use a certain product or item other than knowing we are helping you take proper care of your tortoises.

Now, with all that out of the way ;) Your enclosure is looking great. I am very happy that you separated the two, it will be much better for them to have their own space.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
BaddestMarie said:
Momof4 said:
They're usually under $5 depending on the size. Any home improvement or Michaels's craft store. Terra-cotta pots works well.

I want the terracotta one but my russian is pretty wide so i got to look for a medium sized pot. I looked at home dept online && they want like $10 for a small pot :(

Try Freecycle in your area and put in a 'wanted' ad.
Also, you can use the black plastic pots that plants are sold in at plant nurseries. (you can get these on Freecycle sometimes too).
I saw one new at a home improvement store for $4 that was a good size for an RT. Terracotta is nicer, but these will work. A dollar store in your area might have some med sized plastic buckets.
Either way, bury if part way in the substrate.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
BaddestMarie said:
Momof4 said:
They're usually under $5 depending on the size. Any home improvement or Michaels's craft store. Terra-cotta pots works well.

I want the terracotta one but my russian is pretty wide so i got to look for a medium sized pot. I looked at home dept online && they want like $10 for a small pot :(

I don't know if you have them where you are, but "Family Dollar" and "Ocean State Joblots" is selling them cheap to clear out summer inventory.

Good luck

BaddestMarie

5 Year Member
Bronx,NY
-So i finally finished my habitat today. I decided to put a little pool/soak area instead of the water feeder in the habitat because the pool should help with humidity && because he likes to soak on his own without me soaking him myself. I planted 2 diffrent types of Zinna flowers in each pot. As for his hideaway, i simply used a flower pot. The pictures below are what his habitat looks like now :)

Attachments

• image-3461156471.png
    image-3461156471.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 58
  • image-3846469420.png
    image-3846469420.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 55
  • image-4005754143.png
    image-4005754143.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 52
  • image-283636844.png
    image-283636844.png
    421.5 KB · Views: 47
  • image-544363734.png
    image-544363734.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 47

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Looking better and better! You might pile more substrate in the flower pot so he can really dig in.
Just keep an eye out, Russians are quite the climbers.
It is nice your tort likes to soak.
Good job!

BaddestMarie

5 Year Member
Bronx,NY
lynnedit said:
Looking better and better! You might pile more substrate in the flower pot so he can really dig in.
Just keep an eye out, Russians are quite the climbers.
It is nice your tort likes to soak.
Good job!

-The flower pot wasnt working for him. He liked to dig underneath it as you can see. So my husband cut a hole on the side of it && put it upside down.

Attachments

• image-1686194745.png
    image-1686194745.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 32
  • image-3181699207.png
    image-3181699207.png
    335.9 KB · Views: 31

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
It looks nice! The only problem I'm seeing is that those underbed boxes are very short, so it would be very easy for your tort to climb right out. If you start having problems with that, you might want to look into something deeper... The biggest tote I know of is the 54 gallon Rubbermaid Roughneck tote, 42x18" floorspace and 21" deep, so plenty deep enough that you can have a good 5"+ of bedding and still not worry about him climbing out. It's something like $20 at Walmart.

Other than that, it looks nice. Good job. :)

BaddestMarie

5 Year Member
Bronx,NY
Floof said:
It looks nice! The only problem I'm seeing is that those underbed boxes are very short, so it would be very easy for your tort to climb right out. If you start having problems with that, you might want to look into something deeper... The biggest tote I know of is the 54 gallon Rubbermaid Roughneck tote, 42x18" floorspace and 21" deep, so plenty deep enough that you can have a good 5"+ of bedding and still not worry about him climbing out. It's something like $20 at Walmart.

Other than that, it looks nice. Good job. :)

He never tries to climb out.

Status
Not open for further replies.