Advice on Temporary Outdoor Enclosure

JoFisch

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
I have a young E. Hermanns. Opal was hatched mid June 2021. She(he) currently weighs 90grams. I think I remember that it is recommended they can start going outside when they reach 100g. I live in Central Washington State and our weather can be quite warm Spring to Fall. I have a site picked out for a permanent outdoor enclosure in my yard but I have a bunch of landscaping I need to do before I am ready to plan her permanent outdoor enclosure. My thought for this summer was to use part of my small garden. My garden is about 12-15 ft square and it is fenced with 2”x4” no climb wire fencing. I just grow berries and herbs. I thought I could put 2x8 boards to separate an area where I grow herbs from the rest of the garden. I would use these boards on the inside of the fencing also to make a sight barrier and keep Opal from getting through the fence. In this area I have well established thyme, a large bunch of Chives and I plant basil and dill here as well. I know the chives could be harmful if she eats them but everyone seems to say that tortoises don’t like strong scented/flavored plants. There are always plenty of weeds and my plan is to just have her outside during the day and then I’ll bring her in at night. I have a 5-6 ft privacy fence around the rest of the yard and I don’t think predators will be much of a concern with the plant cover she’ll have. There are occasional hawks flying, a squirrel that drives my beagle crazy but I haven’t seen any neighborhood cats in my back yard. The area I’d enclose for Opal would be about 12 ft x 3ft. I don’t use any herbicides or insecticides in my garden. Do you think the area is suitable with the plants I’ll have there? Any concerns with my plan?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
The hawks could be a concern - or any large birds - so I would make a cover to be on the safe side.
You could check the safety of your plants on www.thetortisetable.org.uk and I believe there are apps available that will ID plants if you don't know the names.

JoFisch

Platinum Tortoise Club
Washington
The hawks could be a concern - or any large birds - so I would make a cover to be on the safe side.
You could check the safety of your plants on www.thetortisetable.org.uk and I believe there are apps available that will ID plants if you don't know the names.
How sturdy do you think the cover would need to be? Do you think draping netting over it would work?

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
How sturdy do you think the cover would need to be? Do you think draping netting over it would work?
I would not use netting for night time use because racoons are very smart to take it off. But from your profile pic. It looks like a baby tortoise and I imagine you won't put it out side all night long.

JoFisch

Platinum Tortoise Club
Washington
I would not use netting for night time use because racoons are very smart to take it off. But from your profile pic. It looks like a baby tortoise and I imagine you won't put it out side all night long.
Yes, he/she is only 8 mos old now (in that pic she was about 6 weeks). My plan is to just have her outside during the day until she is much bigger at which point I’ll have a secure, probably hinged, cover.