Advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaqnovoa

5 Year Member
Hi there,

I have now been informed that our two new tortoises are Testudo graeca graeca and would now like some more help.

How do I tell if they are in good general condition?
How often and how much should they eat/drink?

They are currently out in the day and in at night but could they stay out all the time? We live in Murcia, Spain and at the moment our temp. range from around 7ºC at night to about 17ºC in the day.

All help is welcome. We were thrown in the deep end a bit and don't want to let these guys down!

Jacqui

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
http://www.wnyherp.org/care-sheets/turtles/greek-tortoise.php
jaqnovoa said:
Hi there,

I have now been informed that our two new tortoises are Testudo graeca graeca and would now like some more help.

How do I tell if they are in good general condition?
How often and how much should they eat/drink?

They are currently out in the day and in at night but could they stay out all the time? We live in Murcia, Spain and at the moment our temp. range from around 7ºC at night to about 17ºC in the day.

All help is welcome. We were thrown in the deep end a bit and don't want to let these guys down!

Jacqui

You can try this website - it's not the greatest, but it has a lot of good links for you.

http://www.wnyherp.org/care-sheets/turtles/greek-tortoise.php

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi Jacqui,
If you could measure them http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-6948.html in mm and weigh them in g, I could find out if their weights are good.
I would keep doing what your doing (in at night and out during the day) until night time temperatures get above 15C. Than you can leave them out all the time. I would feed at least 5 days a week.

Danny

jaqnovoa

5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
Hi Jacqui,
If you could measure them http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-6948.html in mm and weigh them in g, I could find out if their weights are good.
I would keep doing what your doing (in at night and out during the day) until night time temperatures get above 15C. Than you can leave them out all the time. I would feed at least 5 days a week.

Danny

Hi Danny,

The first one measures 92mm and weighs 160g
The other measures 109mm and wiehgs 300g

Another question for you...While they are outside they are eating grass and weeds from the garden but should we supplement this? We've read that you should give them cuttlefish. Is that right?
Cheers

Jacqui

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Cuttlefish is good as well as food grade ground limestone (used for horses) and/or natural chalk/limestone.

The smaller one is a bit under-weight, should be 200g, The larger one is just fine.

Danny

jaqnovoa

5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
Cuttlefish is good as well as food grade ground limestone (used for horses) and/or natural chalk/limestone.

The smaller one is a bit under-weight, should be 200g, The larger one is just fine.

Danny

Great! Thanks a lot, Danny. I think that they probably didn't have much food in their previous home which would explain why Pepe is a little underweight. What's the best way to bulk him up or is it just a case of time now that he is back on the right track?
Also, how do we sex them? Not that it matters much to us, but it would be nice to know.
Jacqui

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Getting plenty of good weeds and grass when outside will help put on the weight. :)
Take some (in-focus :p) pictures of the plastron (bottom shell) and post them. We can have a go at sexing them for you.

Danny

jaqnovoa

5 Year Member
Here you go, Danny.

The one named Tia Maria is the one that seems to have been attacked by a dog or something. That's the larger one of the two.
Can you age them as well? :rolleyes:What do you need for that?

Jacqui

Attachments

• Tia Maria Plastron 640.JPG
    Tia Maria Plastron 640.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Tio Pepe Plastron 640.JPG
    Tio Pepe Plastron 640.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 24

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Maria is a female and Pepe is a male. :) They are both around 8 years old.

Danny

jaqnovoa

5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
Maria is a female and Pepe is a male. :) They are both around 8 years old.

Danny

You're not just basing that on their names are you? Hahaha! Thanks very much for all your help.

Jacqui

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Hey!

Why are there no photos of the rest of the tortoises? How about some shots where we can admire more than their private bits? :p

Welcome to the forum. :D

jaqnovoa

5 Year Member
Sorry Stephanie,
We were in a bit of a panic trying to get immediate care sorted out!
Please enjoy the two photos of Tia Maria and Tio Pepe and I promise I will take some more.
Jacqui

Attachments

• Tia Maria 01.JPG
    Tia Maria 01.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Tio Pepe 01.JPG
    Tio Pepe 01.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 17

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
That's better.

They are both lovely little munchkins. I like the black blaze on Pepe's nose. What is happening with Maria's shell? Is that from dog chewing or is it some kind of fungus? Are you treating it with anything?

Where in Spain do you live (near what major city)? Do a lot of people keep tortoises as pets there? :D

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
That is old shell rot Stephanie. What your seeing is dead bone, which will eventually fall off. Everything looks to have healed fine so nothing Jacqui needs to do. :)

Danny

jaqnovoa

5 Year Member
Thanks for the reassurance Danny.
Stephanie - We live in the province of Murcia and have no idea if there are many tortoise owners around here.
We have some Moroccan neighbours who go home every winter. They let the kids bring these and more tortoises back to Spain when they returned in February and last week the Dad had enough and said they all had to go! We offered to take two in and that's how we got Maria and Pepe! Not they ideal way I know but hopefully they stand a good chance now. We have constructed a temporary pen in the garden (full of weeds at the moment which is a stroke of luck, really) and will begin work on a permanent purpose built pen in a couple of weeks. For now we are researching like crazy but at least I've seen them both eating and they have both been in the water.
If there is anyone reading who's from our neck of the woods I'd love to hear from you.
I will post some more pics and questions on here before long.
Jacqui

kit-e-kat

5 Year Member
Gardena, Ca.
Jacqui,
I feed my Greeks, they're about 18 months old, dandilion, kale, cactus and heavy dark greens. I sprinkle calcium on their food. No animal protien, only greens and very little fruit. I also soak them twice a week, in tepid water up to their plastron, the bottom shell. This hydrates them and they should release urates and poop. This is an indication that their digestive system is working. After the soaking, around 20 min., I wipe their shells with a damp cloth, water only, and weigh them. I keep a record of their weights, as this is also an indicator of their well being. By wiping their shells, it helps them absorb natural UV rays. They should be placed outside to get these rays from the sun. Try to replicate the living conditions of their natural home. Proper care can be a fair amount of work, but when it results in a healthy tort, the rewards are enormous! Read other posts, it is a wealth of information. Bless you for rescueing them, give them a good home, and good luck!
Regards,
John and Joanie

Status
Not open for further replies.