Advice please.

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

Location (City and/or State)
England,
As most of you know I’m a proud owner to a beautiful 4 month old red foot called Pumpkin.
I’ve had pumpkin for a week now. And I’ve noticed over last couple of days her eating has got less and less.
Is this normal? I know they can stop eating for a week or so when you first put them in there home but pumpkin didn’t stop eating. Till now.
when I first got pumpkin she couldn’t get food down fast enough but yesterday and today she just don’t seem interested.
her enclosure temp is 29.5/30c. Humidity is 80%. I soak her every day for 15 mins at a time and I do this 3 times a day so gets her 45mins. After each 15 min soak I gave food which she scoffed.
She had her protein yesterday (pinky) which she did shred and eat. But she won’t touch her greens. her poop is normal.
I offer kale, beetroot greens. Grated carrot every other day. Strawberry and raspberry leaves. Dandelion leaves. I managed to get hold of Mazuri which I had shipped over from the states. I soaked 4/5 pellets in water and mixed it up with her food.
she also has spider plant which is in her enclosure.
Boston fern
The odd raspberry here and there which she does seem to love.
she also has Apollo
Green leaves from barley grass
Bears breeches (acanthaceae)
Burgamont
Oat cat grass
And a few other greens. I make sure everything is safe via the tortoise table.
Everything gets washed before I give it to her. I’m not sure if she is just settling in. Or if she just don’t want what I’m offering. I try and swap it around so she has different every couple of days. Just to try and keep her interested.
Is there a way I could try and encourage her to eat?Her weight is ok. She hasn’t lost any. She’s 107g. I’ve tried hand feeding like I usually do and she just walks away and buries herself under the substrate. It’s probably me being paranoid.
I’m so worried I’m going to screw up.
I’ve followed everything down to the tea. I Always make sure her temp and humidity is normal. I check it 3/4 times a day (yes I’m that paranoid)
I have been taking her outside for half a hour when it’s sunny and warm so she can get them natural sun rays. Could me taking her outside be the cause maybe?
she has her own little run with freshly grown strawberry plants. (I take the fruit off so she doesn’t over it so she has plenty of leaves to nibble at)
Her run is 5foot by 3 foot.
Her indoor enclosure is 4 foot by 2 foot (yes I know it’s smaller than recommended size. But I will be expanding as she grows. I turn her UVB on same time everyday.
I turn it off same time every night.
I feed her same times every day. And same for the soaking.
Any tips would be greatful.
I know like I said above I’m probably being paranoid. But i would rather ask on here than be sorry.
I wouldn’t trust advice from anywhere else.

Attachments

• 4A283EB6-4850-478A-A21B-1E7A158D2A18.jpeg
    4A283EB6-4850-478A-A21B-1E7A158D2A18.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
  • CE1EC069-BC1D-4EA5-956E-1903F88463BE.jpeg
    CE1EC069-BC1D-4EA5-956E-1903F88463BE.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 28
  • 1B30489A-1338-4EC3-A9E7-1526AC55BF74.jpeg
    1B30489A-1338-4EC3-A9E7-1526AC55BF74.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 27
  • A8BC3407-B9E0-4ECD-90B3-27FD56783CF0.jpeg
    A8BC3407-B9E0-4ECD-90B3-27FD56783CF0.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Have you tried blending the foods-sorta like making a salsa. It spreads the favorite flavors over the not so favorite foods.

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

England,
Have you tried blending the foods-sorta like making a salsa. It spreads the favorite flavors over the not so favorite foods.
Yes I did that this morning.
she just walked away.
I’ve given fresh since. And added the Mazuri (it’s hard to get in uk but I’ve managed to get some shipped over from America. (Costs more but she’s worth it)
She had a sniff of everything and again toddled off. I think maybe she still settling in. Or she’s just a fussy tort. I’ve had her for a week. Her poop is normal. She’s peeing. Eyes and nose clear.

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

England,
What was the breeder feeding her prior to you getting her?
Pinkies once a Week for protein.
Boston fern
Opuntia (which I’m struggling to get hold off)
Timothy grass
Blue sow thistle
Oat cat grass.
cuttle fish
Carrot
Apple
Strawberry
Raspberry
Grape
Beetroot greens
Carrot tops (greens)
Sweet potato
Mulberry leaves
I got them to give me a list.
all of above she was eating. But for last couple days she just turns her nose up

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

England,
Well durn that is the best I had to offer maybe when the RedFooters wake up they do better. IMHO you got the setup, care, and feeding right so maybe she just getting the lay of the land.
When I first got her I was absolutely terrified.
I was on here for about 2/3 weeks before I got her.
She was a birthday present brought by me for me lol.
I made sure her enclosure was up running and ready and everything was right I did make a mistake on the substrate tho but that wasn’t my fault. The reptile store gave me the wrong bags. But they did give me the Orchard bark as a replacement free of charge as an apology. I’m pretty lucky as the reptile store I go to are pretty hands on and Give advice that’s mostly correct.
I’ve read on here about pet stores fobbing people off to getting a red basking bulb for red foots. My reptile store didn’t. They told me the black non light heat bulb would be fine. And that’s what she has. So she doesn’t get light from the heated area.
im still working on her enclosure and adding plants etc.Just a few I’m struggling to get over here. I refuse to buy any plants from the garden stores due to the products they use with all sorts of chemicals. I’m not willing to take that risk. So I’m hunting down seeds to grow my own before placing them in the enclosure.
I’ve ordered a fair few of spider plants seeds and ones that are ready to be potted. I’ve ordered hosta, bostwen fern, pothos aswell and a few other plants I know that are safe along with loads of different types of greens. I’ve even ordered dandelion seeds lol. I really want to get hold of the spineless opuntia as the reptile store fed her that and she loved it. Only down fall is they have there own supplier for them and don’t sell the plant itself so pretty gutted.
she has her own strawberry patch outside which I make sure there is no fruit on. So she has plenty of greens to eat. I just don’t understand why she’s all of a sudden decided not to eat. For the last week I’ve done everything at the same time so she gets used to the routine of soaks. Feeding, day time, night time etc etc.

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

England,
I forgot to mention she has a T5 UVB 12% for tropical kit.
i
It sounds like your doing everything right, I have no idea what’s wrong. Who did you buy her from?
i brought her from a reptile store.
she was in the store fora Few hours before I picked her up.
I asked all questions on what she was fed on.
i even asked if she hatched out her egg ok etc.
they are pretty good any questions they point you directly to there breeder.
they gave me a list of what she was fed on and how she was started off from hatching.
from what they told me and from what I’ve read about people making mistakes with baby torts I was pretty surprised by the responses they gave. Surprised in a good way I should add

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
I forgot to mention she has a T5 UVB 12% for tropical kit.
i

i brought her from a reptile store.
she was in the store fora Few hours before I picked her up.
I asked all questions on what she was fed on.
i even asked if she hatched out her egg ok etc.
they are pretty good any questions they point you directly to there breeder.
they gave me a list of what she was fed on and how she was started off from hatching.
from what they told me and from what I’ve read about people making mistakes with baby torts I was pretty surprised by the responses they gave.
I’m not saying this is the answer but since your care is correct it might be that she was unhealthy when you bought her. Some babies seem healthy but then become sick. This could totally be wrong. For all you know she could eat a lot tomorrow. If it seems they did everything right then this is likely wrong, she might have eaten something also. I would see if this continues, it might not.

Zoeclare

Uk
It sounds like you've got a great setup! Sometimes torts are just like spoiled toddlers lol if I give Nitro something he really enjoys the next day he throws a little tantrum when he doesn't get more of the same but eventually he eats what's on offer so maybe she was hoping for more pinky! In regard to the cactus pads I ordered some online from a reptile store, fed two pads and stuck the third on in some sandy soil and just left it and it's actually growing now ?

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

England,
I’m not saying this is the answer but since your care is correct it might be that she was unhealthy when you bought her. Some babies seem healthy but then become sick. This could totally be wrong. For all you know she could eat a lot tomorrow. If it seems they did everything right then this is likely wrong, she might have eaten something also. I would see if this continues, it might not.
She only eats what I offer her.
I made sure I asked all the appropriate questions before I got her.
I got the questions to ask from the forum the day before I had the phone call to pick to up.

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

England,
It sounds like you've got a great setup! Sometimes torts are just like spoiled toddlers lol if I give Nitro something he really enjoys the next day he throws a little tantrum when he doesn't get more of the same but eventually he eats what's on offer so maybe she was hoping for more pinky! In regard to the cactus pads I ordered some online from a reptile store, fed two pads and stuck the third on in some sandy soil and just left it and it's actually growing now ?
I can’t get the spineless opuntia anywhere in the uk.
found one in a garden center but due to the chemicals they use I refuse to buy it.
only place I found to sell them is over seas. And non don’t ship here. It’s pretty frustrating

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
As most of you know I’m a proud owner to a beautiful 4 month old red foot called Pumpkin.
I’ve had pumpkin for a week now. And I’ve noticed over last couple of days her eating has got less and less.
Is this normal? I know they can stop eating for a week or so when you first put them in there home but pumpkin didn’t stop eating. Till now.
when I first got pumpkin she couldn’t get food down fast enough but yesterday and today she just don’t seem interested.
her enclosure temp is 29.5/30c. Humidity is 80%. I soak her every day for 15 mins at a time and I do this 3 times a day so gets her 45mins. After each 15 min soak I gave food which she scoffed.
She had her protein yesterday (pinky) which she did shred and eat. But she won’t touch her greens. her poop is normal.
I offer kale, beetroot greens. Grated carrot every other day. Strawberry and raspberry leaves. Dandelion leaves. I managed to get hold of Mazuri which I had shipped over from the states. I soaked 4/5 pellets in water and mixed it up with her food.
Boston fern
she also has Apollo
Burgamont
Oat cat grass
Everything gets washed before I give it to her. I’m not sure if she is just settling in. Or if she just don’t want what I’m offering. I try and swap it around so she has different every couple of days. Just to try and keep her interested.
Is there a way I could try and encourage her to eat?Her weight is ok. She hasn’t lost any. She’s 107g. I’ve tried hand feeding like I usually do and she just walks away and buries herself under the substrate. It’s probably me being paranoid.
I’ve followed everything down to the tea. I Always make sure her temp and humidity is normal. I check it 3/4 times a day (yes I’m that paranoid)
I have been taking her outside for half a hour when it’s sunny and warm so she can get them natural sun rays. Could me taking her outside be the cause maybe?
she has her own little run with freshly grown strawberry plants. (I take the fruit off so she doesn’t over it so she has plenty of leaves to nibble at)
Her indoor enclosure is 4 foot by 2 foot (yes I know it’s smaller than recommended size. But I will be expanding as she grows. I turn her UVB on same time everyday.
I know like I said above I’m probably being paranoid. But i would rather ask on here than be sorry.
You are thinking all about the food, but when they don't want to eat, its not about the food. Its about one of the environmental parameters. Let's look at some possibilities.

What type of enclosure? Pics? 2x4 should be good size for a baby.

What substrate are you using and how much? How thick is it?

Sounds like you have a CHE and a UV bulb? No basking lamp? What type of UV bulb? Any ambient lighting during the day?

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

England,
You are thinking all about the food, but when they don't want to eat, its not about the food. Its about one of the environmental parameters. Let's look at some possibilities.

What type of enclosure? Pics? 2x4 should be good size for a baby.

What substrate are you using and how much? How thick is it?

Sounds like you have a CHE and a UV bulb? No basking lamp? What type of UV bulb? Any ambient lighting during the day?
I’m currently not home I’m out walking through country side.
Ill pop pics up as soon as I get back.
I don’t have a che.
It’s a black basking bulb.
I have a T5 UBV kit 12% The UVB tube I have is 36inch in length.
She has a damp hide.
water dish that she comfortably climbs in and out of
I use orchard bark for substrate around 8-10cm thick from base. so she can burrow if she desires.
Humidity is 80% I always check this and heat is 29.5/30c.
black basking bulb runs on a dimming thermostat.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Boston fern
she also has Apollo
Burgamont
Oat cat grass
Just an observation from an old goat. Soaking the tortoise 3 times daily is probably disturbing it too much. Not sure where you got the idea that soaking a baby tortoise for 45 minutes daily was necessary. It is overdoing it and probably preventing it from being able to acclimate to its new home properly. You would be better off soaking the tortoise once a day and for about 15-20 minutes total.

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

England,
Just an observation from an old goat. Soaking the tortoise 3 times daily is probably disturbing it too much. Not sure where you got the idea that soaking a baby tortoise for 45 minutes daily was necessary. It is overdoing it and probably preventing it from being able to acclimate to its new home properly. You would be better off soaking the tortoise once a day and for about 15-20 minutes total.
Ok thank you. 30-45mins everyday I thought a baby needed.
so I broke it up to 3 times a day.
now I feel bad. I’ll do the one soak and see how She goes. She is pooping and peeing normal

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

England,
I think I saw it on the red foot care sheet 15-45 mins everyday.
But as she is over 100g now (weight is 107g)
Is it still every day or every other day?
I’m not home so can’t take a peak at care sheet. Signal isn’t great

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I’m currently not home I’m out walking through country side.
Ill pop pics up as soon as I get back.
I don’t have a che.
It’s a black basking bulb.
I have a T5 UBV kit 12% The UVB tube I have is 36inch in length.
She has a damp hide.
water dish that she comfortably climbs in and out of
I use orchard bark for substrate around 8-10cm thick from base. so she can burrow if she desires.
Humidity is 80% I always check this and heat is 29.5/30c.
black basking bulb runs on a dimming thermostat.
I agree with @Tom s assessment. And now hearing your lighting, I believe you don't have any ambient lighting that is adequate. A UVB bulb actually gives off fairly poor ambient lighting. As a portion of a T5HO is generating heat, and over 40% as UV, the rest is all the visible light generated - and that light is about 7000k in color temperature. You need good, balanced light. I know redfoot tortoises like less light, but I believe the way to do that is to provide as close to natural sunlight as possible and then provide hides and shade with plants. Tortoises are very visual and sensitive to light and light content.

I would add some good LED lights. Look for ones rated at 5000k and 90+ CRI.
Dump the black bulb. It heats with near IR. A CHE heats with mid and far IR. Much more gentle.
Add an incadescent basking bulb. Not as much for "basking" for a redfoot, but for adding the longer wavelenght red spectrum to the overall lighting.

Do these things and watch your tortoise improve!