African Hingeback owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mondreysmommy

5 Year Member
View attachment mondrey.bmpHello my name is Lee and I am the owner of a male african hingeback tortoise. I must say that this was tortoise was purchased for my 4 yr old over a year ago. I have searched the net all the time and I have just now come across this site. From what I have read so far I absolutely appreciate as it is really hard to come across people that actually know what they are talking about. Everyone I know has a dog or cat...no tortoise! lol Our tortoises name is Mondrey and my little boys and I love him to death. He is like a family member and being so I want him to be well taken care of and happy! The first thing I need to change is his enclosure. The tank is to small. I need to figure out what I can do and do it asap! Anywho thanks for everything so far and I look forward to being apart of this site! Im so happy that I stumbled across it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Lee:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know where you are?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Welcome to the forum!

It is hard to tell from the picture, but I believe that you have either a Kinixys erosa (Serrated Hingeback) or a Kinixys homeana (Home's Hingeback.) Both are forest species that like low light and a lot of humidity. The care for each is almost identical.

Here are some articles I wrote that can help you.

The Home's Hingeback tortoise

Tortoise Basics for New Owners

If you have any questions fire away, there are several experienced hingeback keepers here on the forum!

Mondreysmommy

5 Year Member
Hello everyone and thanks for the warm welcome!! Im here in overheated Georgia.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
If you could see my face, you would see a big smile on it. Yippy!!! We have another Hingeback person!!! Very interesting name for your tortoise, how did you come up with it?

Mondreysmommy

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
If you could see my face, you would see a big smile on it. Yippy!!! We have another Hingeback person!!! Very interesting name for your tortoise, how did you come up with it?

Hello and thank you!! My 4 year old named him...I thought it was weird but it has grown on me :shy:

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
welcome! I love hingebacks...one day I'll get one. or a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.