African sideneck turtle

beasobey

Location (City and/or State)
Margate
Hi i have three African sidenecks and one of them has the bottom beak hanging of he seems happy swimming around hes not eaten for 2 days now. Is there anythink i can do to help him. Im worried

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, can you send a pic of your turtle?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Yeah it's tough to tell by that pic. Maybe you can get a pic while he is swimming around. If you can put your camera on rapid shutter, maybe you can capture a good pic. Does it look like the whole front lower beak or farther back at the jaw joint?

beasobey

Margate
Yeah it's tough to tell by that pic. Maybe you can get a pic while he is swimming around. If you can put your camera on rapid shutter, maybe you can capture a good pic. Does it look like the whole front lower beak or farther back at the jaw joint?
Its just the beak i will keep trying to get decent pic

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hi i have three African sidenecks and one of them has the bottom beak hanging of he seems happy swimming around hes not eaten for 2 days now. Is there anythink i can do to help him. Im worried
Is he housed with the other turtles? It might be better to house it by itself right now so he has a better chance eating. Also, is that Margate Florida? That's where I grew up.

beasobey

Margate
His beak has just come of as u can see in the pics

Attachments

• 20211003_193241.jpg
    20211003_193241.jpg
    898.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 20211003_193348.jpg
    20211003_193348.jpg
    848.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 20211003_193825.jpg
    20211003_193825.jpg
    798.8 KB · Views: 27

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Well, the pain of it flopping around is over.

That's the good news.

You still need to decide what happened to break it in the first place.

In a communal setting, the most common reason for an injury of this type is aggression from another dominant animal in the habitat. Alternatively, a random accident (he tried to attack a movement that turned out to be a shadow on glass, or a rock, he got stuck somewhere and pulled himself free with so much force that it broke, etc.); or a metabolic illness is affecting his keratin strength.

Without having seen what happened, you kind of have to approach it as though all those things happened...that is, you need to consider whether he was bitten by a dominant animal while making sure there are no spots where a turtle's head could get stuck, and while reviewing his diet and access to uvb radiation.

At this point, he optimally needs to be set up in his own habitat to protect him from the other turtles, and to give him the peace and quiet he needs to heal.

beasobey

Margate
Well, the pain of it flopping around is over.

That's the good news.

You still need to decide what happened to break it in the first place.

In a communal setting, the most common reason for an injury of this type is aggression from another dominant animal in the habitat. Alternatively, a random accident (he tried to attack a movement that turned out to be a shadow on glass, or a rock, he got stuck somewhere and pulled himself free with so much force that it broke, etc.); or a metabolic illness is affecting his keratin strength.

Without having seen what happened, you kind of have to approach it as though all those things happened...that is, you need to consider whether he was bitten by a dominant animal while making sure there are no spots where a turtle's head could get stuck, and while reviewing his diet and access to uvb radiation.

At this point, he optimally needs to be set up in his own habitat to protect him from the other turtles, and to give him the peace and quiet he needs to heal.
He does get behind their basking log so thinking he cought it there. The other 2 dont bother with him they tend to stay bottom of tank and in one corner with plants in

ZenHerper

New Jersey
He does get behind their basking log so thinking he cought it there. The other 2 dont bother with him they tend to stay bottom of tank and in one corner with plants in
So that's solvable...take some time to evaluate all of the tank furnishings and equipment. Some turtles want to shove their heads into every crack and crevice...and they'll do it no matter the consequences, so re-injuries are common.

It would still be Optimal that he can heal in a quarantine station alone (it's always a good idea to have a small Hospital tank set up in storage for such occasions).

Make sure he eats well and is active.

beasobey

Margate
So that's solvable...take some time to evaluate all of the tank furnishings and equipment. Some turtles want to shove their heads into every crack and crevice...and they'll do it no matter the consequences, so re-injuries are common.

It would still be Optimal that he can heal in a quarantine station alone (it's always a good idea to have a small Hospital tank set up in storage for such occasions).

Make sure he eats well and is active.
Thank you i will go get him his own tank in the morning and see how he goes

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Wow - I'm so sorry to know this!

That brings me back to something metabolic, nutritional, or infective.

To get a certain answer, a veterinary office or college could send his remains to be examined by a laboratory. Refrigerate, don't freeze him if you are considering this option.

Check the water chemistry parameters of the tank and keep an eye on his companions' behavior/vigor.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I am so sorry for your loss.
Do you have UVB light for your turtles?