african sulcate digging habits

Status
Not open for further replies.

jar61101

5 Year Member
My 13 yr old female african sulcata is digging a new hole opposite her old hole, is this common?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi jar61101:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What do you mean? Is she digging a nest hole, or a new burrow? If its a nest hole, then yes, this is typical. They sometimes dig several test nests before they find just the right spot.

If its a new burrow, no, this isn't the norm.

What would you like us to call you?

..and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Welcome..
Seems verry common if its a new nest hole. Not to sure about it if its burrowing, but as Emyemys mentioned it wouldnt be normal.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm told, and I've also read, that in the wild they dig a new burrow every two or three years. Sometimes multiples in the same year. Our captive ones don't seem to dig nearly as much as the wild ones, but they do dig some.

jar61101

5 Year Member
My name is Denise, the tortoise is Susie. She is 13 years old and 120 pounds. She has a dog house with a heat mat, but she seems to have outgrown that. The original hole is about 8 years old 4 ft deep and 20 feet long. The kids have sent a couple of balls down there, Susie brought one up the other is still down there. She just started the new hole today and it is really coming along. However from the posts I read today I would like to build her a shed, any suggestions on what dimensions would be best for her? We live in southern california, so winter is anytime the temp drops below 50.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
maybe something is wrong with the old one.. I dont let mine burrow.. they just use houses i supply.. seems to work.

yazzy1012

5 Year Member
My 15 year old sulcata has a nice house that he lives in, but about a month ago went to the opposite side of the yard and dug a new burrow for himself. He likes to mix it up. After speaking to his vet they said this is common and sulcatas just have an attitude of their own and basically do whatever they want to. I wouldn't worry to much about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.