age/ size of sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
at what age would an 8" sulcata be? States he feeds it mainly dry pellet food for grassland torts and romain lettuce and keeps in a small pen (his words) and heat light with standard rep bedding. He stated he has had for a few years.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is a lot of variation, but generally that would be around 3 years old. Could be a year and a half. Could be 5 or 6.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Thanks! there is one for sale about 4hrs away. He is unable to send pictures so I am just trying to determine the health of it from the info he gives me. Just wanted to make sure size was reasonable for approx age that he states. For care he stated small pen, heat lamp, and pelleted food. No mention of calcium, uv or soaking/humidity... afraid severe pyrmiding and possible MBD. At 3-5 yrs do you think MBD can be reversed? What other health issues should I be concerned with if no uv or calcium for so many years. :( (I am feeling bad for this tort.)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes, you can reverse MBD. Lots of sunshine, MVBs, calcium supplementation and a good diet.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Marty333 said:
Uh Oh Jessica is getting addicted :D:D:D

lol... I know, I have to stop looking!! :p 3 wouldn't be too bad though, would it... lol

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
How much are they asking? After seeing the tort, if it looks bad I would explain that in the best interest of the tort it needs x-amount of help. I rescued a 11'' 13# Sulcata she was near death when I got her 5 months ago. She has MBD and was so week that she could not lift her weight to walk. I crawled on my knees and held the weight off her and made her walk. This went on for a good week. I fed her and soaked her and gave her calcium. I had to force her to drink and hand feed her for several days. I had to show her the water bowl over and over, I don't believe she ever had a water bowl. She was such a picky eater at first, it took a long time to get her to eat what she should be eating. Now she eats like a pig and is strong. She is so friendly and loves her neck scratched. I believe most can be brought back from the brink of death with extra love and special care. I hope you can get the tort and help it. Please keep us posted and good luck.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Thanks Missy. I am still working on getting there to get it and how to break it to my hubby that I would like it :rolleyes:. It is such a great thing you did. If I thought it was that bad off I would leave tomorrow to pick it up, I hate to see ANYTHING suffering. He cant send a picture so not sure what shape it is in. He said it drinks like a horse so sounds like it has available water and does get food but didn't sound like the best diet. Just worries me that he did not mention uv just a heat lamp. (hoping that the heat lamp he is providing is also a uv)

If I am able to get it I will definately be posting pics.

Xilonen

5 Year Member
Bellingham, WA
Jessicap said:
Marty333 said:
Uh Oh Jessica is getting addicted :D:D:D

lol... I know, I have to stop looking!! :p 3 wouldn't be too bad though, would it... lol

This is exactly the reason why my mother and I have 7 turts/torts between us. All but one (my 'little brother,' a 24 year old Japanese Reeve's) have been craigslist rescues, obtained in the last two years. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.