Age to Stop Growing

HuskyDaneMom

At what age do Greek tortoises typically stop growing? When are they sexually mature?

I am new to tortoises and just got a Greek so I'm looking to learn as much as possible. I am sure to have many more questions.

Thanks!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
I can't give you an age because I have no idea how old Joe was when he came to us. We guess he's around 50 years old now.

We have had him 46 years and I'd say he hasn't grown in the last 15-20 or so years. He measures just over 10" SCL and weighs around 7lb.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
they will keep on growing until they reach their maximum size there's no age that they stop growing. as for sexual maturity it's based on size and not age

HuskyDaneMom

Ok, Cruz is settling in nicely. He's eating, basking and moves around a bit.

I have been soaking him daily since he has some pyramiding and i want to be sure he's drinking.

Last night a white clump in the water that looked like it would be slimy if I were crazy enough to touch it.

Tonight he did the same thing, but I also saw that his manhood was proudly on display.

So, I have a couple questions:

Is the white stuff what I think it is?
Does this mean he's sexually mature or do juveniles display like that?
If he is sexually mature, then he won't grow any further, correct? Going based on what Dmmj said?

Well at least I have confirmation that Cruz is a gender-appropriate name for him.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Ok, Cruz is settling in nicely. He's eating, basking and moves around a bit.

I have been soaking him daily since he has some pyramiding and i want to be sure he's drinking.

Last night a white clump in the water that looked like it would be slimy if I were crazy enough to touch it.

Tonight he did the same thing, but I also saw that his manhood was proudly on display.

So, I have a couple questions:

Is the white stuff what I think it is?
Does this mean he's sexually mature or do juveniles display like that?
If he is sexually mature, then he won't grow any further, correct? Going based on what Dmmj said?

Well at least I have confirmation that Cruz is a gender-appropriate name for him.
The white stuff is urate - it's how your tort rids himself of excess proteins in his diet. It's completely normal. See
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-tortoise-pooped-out-some-white-stuff.14782/

A tort penis is a once seen, never forgotten experience! If you have seen it then you definitely have a male :D.

It's not uncommon for males to 'flash' - display all - in adolescence.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
no he will keep on growing they reach sexual maturity long before ever they reach their maximum size