Aggression

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hello all!
I searched quite a few posts but didn't find my answer, apologies in advance if this topic is overdone.
Almost 3-year-old male Sulcata is getting grouchy with us. He rams into my shins and ankles when I am in his enclosure cleaning or changing water. Head tucked and barrels forward. He is almost 30 pounds, so it doesn't tickle when he does it.
What are some things I can do to help curb or avoid this behavior?
He is by himself in his enclosure.
He has interaction at minimum daily for feeding- more for cleaning, pets and visits.
Some things that we might be able to change but not sure of the impact it'll have:
He might be able to see his brother from his enclosure- will that cause him to be territorial just by sight from a distance?
We live in FL- plenty of sunshine, fresh air and warmth. They have insulated houses with heating for when temps drop. Is temperature an issue known to cause aggression?
Anything with diet we can change? Timothy and orchard hay, Mazuri LS and various weeds and grasses.
A pic of the grouchy boy for your viewing pleasure....

Attachments

• Dino.jpg
    Dino.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello all!
I searched quite a few posts but didn't find my answer, apologies in advance if this topic is overdone.
Almost 3-year-old male Sulcata is getting grouchy with us. He rams into my shins and ankles when I am in his enclosure cleaning or changing water. Head tucked and barrels forward. He is almost 30 pounds, so it doesn't tickle when he does it.
He has interaction at minimum daily for feeding- more for cleaning, pets and visits.
Some things that we might be able to change but not sure of the impact it'll have:
He might be able to see his brother from his enclosure- will that cause him to be territorial just by sight from a distance?
We live in FL- plenty of sunshine, fresh air and warmth. They have insulated houses with heating for when temps drop. Is temperature an issue known to cause aggression?
Anything with diet we can change? Timothy and orchard hay, Mazuri LS and various weeds and grasses.
This is unusual. Sulcatas don't normally get aggressive toward people.

It is hard to say what would help without seeing it first hand, but some people have reported that putting the tortoise on its back for a short time will settle down this sort of aggressive impulse.

LJL1982

UK
Hello all!
My husband wears grey work trousers...Well seems like all the time. We have a Greek male who never goes at anything other than specifically a dark grey brown ribbed plant pot, and my husbands legs when he wears the grey trousers. Is there any common theme in clothing you are wearing on days he has done it? Large grey brown boots or anything?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I agree with Yvonne I have a 3 year old that started trying to chase me away when he was 2. He has already gotten over it and no more aggressive moves. I also have a 26 year that to this day doesn't want me in his house. And he's big enough for me not to go in it when he's around. But outside his house he is the perfect gentleman.

Florida
This is unusual. Sulcatas don't normally get aggressive toward people.

It is hard to say what would help without seeing it first hand, but some people have reported that putting the tortoise on its back for a short time will settle down this sort of aggressive impulse.

After talking to my son (12), it seems like he only does it to me. Both my son and I walked into his pen, and Dino followed me around, not my son. I am sure he could ram much harder into my shins than he does- but he definitely goes after me. I will try to get a video of it. Could it just be for attention?
My husband wears grey work trousers...Well seems like all the time. We have a Greek male who never goes at anything other than specifically a dark grey brown ribbed plant pot, and my husbands legs when he wears the grey trousers. Is there any common theme in clothing you are wearing on days he has done it? Large grey brown boots or anything?
I will have to try to pay attention to what I am wearing... They all love my bright green Crocs, lol and try to take a bite.
I agree with Yvonne I have a 3 year old that started trying to chase me away when he was 2. He has already gotten over it and no more aggressive moves. I also have a 26 year that to this day doesn't want me in his house. And he's big enough for me not to go in it when he's around. But outside his house he is the perfect gentleman.
Fingers crossed he just being a moody teen and he gets over it. LOL

Thank you for all the suggestions everyone! I already made adjustments to his fencing so he shouldn't be able to see his brother now.