ALDABRA TORTOISE BREEDER

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
Yellow Turtle said:
ALDABRAMAN said:
* I feed water melon during its harvest season, very abundant down here and plenty of free sources! Honestly, water melon and cantaloupe melon seem to be a favorite!
Free cactus pads, and now free watermelon and cantaloupe melon? WOW, imagine that!

* Many farms down in this area. There is a commercial farmers market in the next town called Immokalee and it is fantastic for fresh produce, etc. They have cactus pads by the case sometimes for $6, I buy all they have, LOL!

2nlweao.jpg

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
ALDABRAMAN said:
* Many farms down in this area. There is a commercial farmers market in the next town called Immokalee and it is fantastic for fresh produce, etc. They have cactus pads by the case sometimes for $6, I buy all they have, LOL!

Oh we have many vegetable markets here as well. The problem are most vegetables here contain unpredictable pesticide level.

Btw, besides tortoise food, what do people in your area use cactus pad for?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Yellow Turtle said:
ALDABRAMAN said:

Btw, besides tortoise food, what do people in your area use cactus pad for?

* Chili and other Mexican dishes use cactus. Diabetics also eat them to help naturally regulate sugar levels.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
ALDABRAMAN said:
* Chili and other Mexican dishes use cactus. Diabetics also eat them to help naturally regulate sugar levels.

There's always something new to learn everyday :)

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Yellow Turtle said:
ALDABRAMAN said:

There's always something new to learn everyday

* I am constantly learning new things!

2nrmyw8.jpg

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
He's looking past the gate. Greg, I wonder, if he really wants to get past the gate, could he?

[/align][[align=justify]quote='ALDABRAMAN' pid='823809' dateline='1393887529']
28743th.jpg

[/quote]

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
sibi said:
He's looking past the gate. Greg, I wonder, if he really wants to get past the gate, could he?

* They seem to have interest to get past the gate, however they can not. Those poles, fencing, etc. is just way too strong and sturdy!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Yeah, It looks really strong, was just wondering because my sullies are trying to knock the cement blocks down lol

ALDABRAMAN said:
sibi said:

* They seem to have interest to get past the gate, however they can not. Those poles, fencing, etc. is just way too strong and sturdy!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
sibi said:
Yeah, It looks really strong, was just wondering because my sullies are trying to knock the cement blocks down lol

* LOL, yes it is very strong. Each of those poles have about ten bags of concrete, and three nine gauge tension wires on the bottom portion of the chain link fence. All ties and hog rings are steel.

16bik3q.jpg

* If you notice the wooded block i built in order to keep the gate from swinging both ways, basically it is impossible for the gate to open only one direction, which was strategically done to open only inside. This was because they would just push on the fence and completely twist the latch opening the gate, LOL.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Man, that must of cost a small fortune lol But, I may have to do that for my sullies if they succeed in crashing through the cement blocks. Sullies can be very tenacious creatures if they know they can do something once. There's no stopping them after that.

ALDABRAMAN said:
sibi said:
omething once.

* LOL, yes it is very strong. Each of those poles have about ten bags of concrete, and three nine gauge tension wires on the bottom portion of the chain link fence. All ties and hog rings are steel.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
sibi said:
Man, that must of cost a small fortune lol But, I may have to do that for my sullies if they succeed in crashing through the cement blocks. Sullies can be very tenacious creatures if they know they can do something once. There's no stopping them after that.

ALDABRAMAN said:
sibi said:

* Yes, it was very expensive, however truly one of my biggest concerns is not adequately containing these strong creatures and compromising there safety and security. I know of several cases where large Galops and Aldabra have pushed under or pushed down residential grade fencing and escaped. One case i know of when a Galop was actually hit by a car just after it escaped. Piece of mind is important when housing and containing these giant species, they are incredibly strong and tenacious.

9isf9x.jpg

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
ALDABRAMAN said:
sibi said:

16bik3q.jpg

* If you notice the wooded block i built in order to keep the gate from swinging both ways, basically it is impossible for the gate to open only one direction, which was strategically done to open only inside. This was because they would just push on the fence and completely twist the latch opening the gate, LOL.

Wow! I figured they'd find the weakest part of the fence and twist the heck out of it. LOL

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
sibi said:
ALDABRAMAN said:
sibi said:

16bik3q.jpg

Wow! I figured they'd find the weakest part of the fence and twist the heck out of it. LOL

* essentially they did, the latch. I initially had to use a chain and large pad lock until i build the lower wooded guards.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I know about being tenacious! Your concerns, though, are real. My question is, how the heck does someone hit a Gallop with their car? Was it nighttime? Because if it wasn't, the person must have been blind!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
sibi said:
I know about being tenacious! Your concerns, though, are real. My question is, how the heck does someone hit a Gallop with their car? Was it nighttime? Because if it wasn't, the person must have been blind!

* It was day time, unsure the particulars!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Go figure. Florida drivers, ugh! LOL

ALDABRAMAN said:
sibi said:

* It was day time, unsure the particulars!
[/ LOLquote]

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
sibi said:
Go figure. Florida drivers, ugh!

* I took a picture, see the female on the far left in the picture with the hole in the shell? That is the damage from the crash. This picture is at least three years old. She was actually heeling very nicely.

* Just as a side note, she has laid eggs for the past two years, however no fertility.

2ceye0.jpg