ALDABRA TORTOISE BREEDER

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
Do they eat the flowers from the royal Poinciana? I've always wondered if they were a safe tortoise food. We have them everywhere here and it's definitely blooming season.
I knew a baby redfoot that ate poinciana and died. I don't know.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
I knew a baby redfoot that ate poinciana and died. I don't know.
I may be wrong but I thought pointciana was poisonous to animals and humans?
Maybe I’m thinkin’ of pointcetias???
You know?…. The ones at Christmas time that are red???

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
I may be wrong but I thought pointciana was poisonous to animals and humans?
Maybe I’m thinkin’ of pointcetias???
You know?…. The ones at Christmas time that are red???
Pointcetias?….😟
Point settias??…… 😤
Point set e as..? 🧐
Point certieas ????….. 🤔

This one!!!! 😤
(Lol, I just laughed because Siri spelled it for me to look up! Duuuuuhhhh…..🤦‍♀️)

Attachments

• FDE64E46-2DA1-4B17-AA56-F3D997AC6D90.png
    FDE64E46-2DA1-4B17-AA56-F3D997AC6D90.png
    162 KB · Views: 3

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Pointcetias?….😟
Point settias??…… 😤
Point set e as..? 🧐
Point certieas ????….. 🤔

This one!!!! 😤
(Lol, I just laughed because Siri spelled it for me to look up! Duuuuuhhhh…..🤦‍♀️)
This is definitely poisonous. It's a shrub. Poinsettia is a big tree with red flowers too. But maybe we are getting off topic!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
This is definitely poisonous. It's a shrub. Poinsettia is a big tree with red flowers too. But maybe we are getting off topic!
Tammy you made a blooper!!! Poinciana is the big tree with the red or orange flowers!!! Apologies for the error.

Joefnd

Jakarta, Indonesia
Hi ALDABRAMAN, thought I'd ask for your opinion on your thread since there's no official guide to raising a baby aldabra.

I have attached a picture of my closed enclosure, which is 120cm x 60cm for my 3" baby aldabra.

My question for you is what is the proper humidity and temperature levels. And is my setup already correct?

I'm maintaining 80-99% humidity depending on the hygrometer reading. And the temperature fluctuates between 29 - 31C, although I've set the thermostat for the ceramic heaters at 30C. Sometimes the thermostat temperature has about a 1C discrepancy when compared with the digital one. Perhaps because one is on the substrate while the other is hanging several inches above it.

My substrate is 100% fir bark. And I do soak everyday for 30 minutes under the sun and let them out for 2-3 hours, depending on the weather.

I don't use a UVB light in the enclosure, but am in the process of making another enclosure that will feature the HO 10.0 Reptisun Tube for rainy days. So my current lighting is only ceramic IR heater and a 6500K LED bulb for ambient lighting.

Today, I noticed some mucus coming out of his nose while washing him, but that could be because I just soaked him minutes before that.

Either way, I'm super paranoid and really appreciate your input.

Thank you so much! My baby Aldabra thanks you too.

Attachments

• PXL_20220619_071217521.jpg
    PXL_20220619_071217521.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 37
  • PXL_20220608_045109620.jpg
    PXL_20220608_045109620.jpg
    852 KB · Views: 37

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hi ALDABRAMAN, thought I'd ask for your opinion on your thread since there's no official guide to raising a baby aldabra.

I have attached a picture of my closed enclosure, which is 120cm x 60cm for my 3" baby aldabra.

My question for you is what is the proper humidity and temperature levels. And is my setup already correct?

I'm maintaining 80-99% humidity depending on the hygrometer reading. And the temperature fluctuates between 29 - 31C, although I've set the thermostat for the ceramic heaters at 30C. Sometimes the thermostat temperature has about a 1C discrepancy when compared with the digital one. Perhaps because one is on the substrate while the other is hanging several inches above it.

My substrate is 100% fir bark. And I do soak everyday for 30 minutes under the sun and let them out for 2-3 hours, depending on the weather.

I don't use a UVB light in the enclosure, but am in the process of making another enclosure that will feature the HO 10.0 Reptisun Tube for rainy days. So my current lighting is only ceramic IR heater and a 6500K LED bulb for ambient lighting.

Today, I noticed some mucus coming out of his nose while washing him, but that could be because I just soaked him minutes before that.

Either way, I'm super paranoid and really appreciate your input.

Thank you so much! My baby Aldabra thanks you too.
The temp and hydrometer should be the digital type. They are a lot more accurate.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
In the second picture your Tortie looks like he is saying :
“ I ain’t takin’ no bath today pal!”
😝🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😬

“I don’t fit this black tub anymore neither!”
🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂