Aldabras

Aaron23

5 Year Member
Hello everyone and Happy Thanksgiving! It's been awhile since I've posted. Is there anyone one here that lives in or near Utah with Aldabras? I love these guys and would love to own 2 someday. Would love to see pictures! Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello everyone and Happy Thanksgiving! It's been awhile since I've posted. Is there anyone one here that lives in or near Utah with Aldabras? I love these guys and would love to own 2 someday. Would love to see pictures! Thanks
This species needs warmth and humidity. They don't do well in dry climates like ours, and you'd need a large warehouse with heated floors to house them in winter where you are.

Also, they should never live in pairs. No tortoises should. Singles or groups of three or more.

Aaron23

5 Year Member
There are people in Arizona that raise and breed these? Yes, it would cost more but it's definitely do able from what I've researched. So why not in pairs? I know these do better with a group than alone.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There are people in Arizona that raise and breed these? Yes, it would cost more but it's definitely do able from what I've researched. So why not in pairs? I know these do better with a group than alone.
No tortoise should be kept in pairs. One almost always Bullies the other. Aldabra is one species that it might work but you would have to be prepared to house them seperate if it didn't. Single is not as good as a group but can work just fine.
With the means as far as money and appropriate size property, it can be done.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is no one in Arizona breeding these. There are likely several people that have them surviving, but its not good for them. Its the wrong climate. It is not doable. You cannot heat and humidify the whole world. Your climate is far too hot in summer, far too cold in winter, and too dry all the time.

Do a search for "pairs" to read all the hours of discussion we've had on it here. It does not work. One is always dominant and the dominant wants the submissive out of the territory. The submissive can't leave the territory and both of them live with terrible chronic stress. Groups dynamics are different than pair dynamics.

We do not know that these do better in groups than alone. No one I know of has ever tested this theory. You need to take a whole clutch of them, raise several alone, and then at least a couple of groups with the rest, eliminating as many variables as possible, and then compare and contrast the results. We see pics of them in the wild because there is limited space and resources. Are they hanging out under the same tree because they like the company, or because that is the only shade close by to escape the hot tropical sun. Galaps tend to congregate in groups too. We see photos of this in the wild all the time, yet they are probably to most combative species I know of.

If you want a giant tortoise in your climate, sulcatas will thrive. Sudan sulcatas have a much higher dome and can grow to 300+ pounds. Galapagos tortoises will also do okay there, but aldabras, indotestudo, manouria ,and redfoots do not do well in desert climates. This doesn't mean people don't try it, but the animals do not thrive.

Aaron23

5 Year Member
There is no one in Arizona breeding these. There are likely several people that have them surviving, but its not good for them. Its the wrong climate. It is not doable. You cannot heat and humidify the whole world. Your climate is far too hot in summer, far too cold in winter, and too dry all the time.

Do a search for "pairs" to read all the hours of discussion we've had on it here. It does not work. One is always dominant and the dominant wants the submissive out of the territory. The submissive can't leave the territory and both of them live with terrible chronic stress. Groups dynamics are different than pair dynamics.

We do not know that these do better in groups than alone. No one I know of has ever tested this theory. You need to take a whole clutch of them, raise several alone, and then at least a couple of groups with the rest, eliminating as many variables as possible, and then compare and contrast the results. We see pics of them in the wild because there is limited space and resources. Are they hanging out under the same tree because they like the company, or because that is the only shade close by to escape the hot tropical sun. Galaps tend to congregate in groups too. We see photos of this in the wild all the time, yet they are probably to most combative species I know of.

If you want a giant tortoise in your climate, sulcatas will thrive. Sudan sulcatas have a much higher dome and can grow to 300+ pounds. Galapagos tortoises will also do okay there, but aldabras, indotestudo, manouria ,and redfoots do not do well in desert climates. This doesn't mean people don't try it, but the animals do not thrive.
Doesn't Arizona tortoise compound sell them?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If they are selling them I guess they are breeding them?
I only know of three people breeding them in the whole country, plus one zoo that occasionally gets a few to hatch. The three breeders are all relatively close to each other in Florida. @ALDABRAMAN , am I wrong? Are there more now? The majority of aldabras sold in this country are imports, also sold out of Florida after importation.

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
I only know of three people breeding them in the whole country, plus one zoo that occasionally gets a few to hatch. The three breeders are all relatively close to each other in Florida. @ALDABRAMAN , am I wrong? Are there more now? The majority of aldabras sold in this country are imports, also sold out of Florida after importation.
not even that toucan bird guy from San diego ? i thought he breed them himself

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
not even that toucan bird guy from San diego ? i thought he breed them himself
That's the guy I sold mine to. Far as I know, he buys and sells, but doesn't breed.