Alfalfa Sprouts

ForrestSBGT

Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
I have six bearded dragons and one uromastyx, and I am currently growing alfalfa sprouts for them, but I am unsure if my Russians can eat them? Thanks for answering

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Here’s what the Tortoise table says…. I’m sure you can feed some occasionally…

Common Name: Alfalfa (Lucerne)
Latin Name: Medicago sativa
Family Name: Fabaceae/Leguminosae
This legume is very high in protein, and although a little will not harm a tortoise, it is best avoided.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have six bearded dragons and one uromastyx, and I am currently growing alfalfa sprouts for them, but I am unsure if my Russians can eat them? Thanks for answering
Alfalfa is a great tortoises food to mix in some of the time. I would not recommend feeding whole meals of it every day, but mixing some in with other stuff twice a week is a good thing.

Due to the higher protein content, be sure your tortoise is well hydrated. Soak regularly, have a good water dish with fresh water at all times, and spray the food with water daily too.

ForrestSBGT

Kentucky
Alfalfa is a great tortoises food to mix in some of the time. I would not recommend feeding whole meals of it every day, but mixing some in with other stuff twice a week is a good thing.

Due to the higher protein content, be sure your tortoise is well hydrated. Soak regularly, have a good water dish with fresh water at all times, and spray the food with water daily too.
Thank you very much. I would rather not feed this to them due to the high protein content.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you very much. I would rather not feed this to them due to the high protein content.
There is no reason that you have to feed it to them, but tortoises do need some protein in their diet. Its a good food. I grow my own alfalfa to feed to all of my tortoises, and I also occasionally use soaked alfalfa pellets to mix in with greens to add some fiber and variety to their diet.

Protein is not the boogeyman we once though it was back in the day. It doesn't cause pyramiding either. High protein foods all day every day would not be good for a Russian, but some occasional higher protein greens mixed in is a good thing.

This is really no different for your beardies or your uromastix. I have beardies too, and used to have uros, and I've always fed them the same stuff from the same bucket that I feed the tortoises from.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome!

All animals need protein to survive and as already mentioned there is no current evidence tortoises are harmed by it, certainly not Russians. I offer various legumes to mine although she's not the biggest fan of any of them.

Don't feed legumes all the time but don't avoid them altogether. They are unlikely to be your tortoise's favorite anyway. :)