Am I really moving out of SoCal????

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
I want to have my cake and eat it too...is that so bad? Lol

In all honesty, we'd really welcome the change and are pretty excited about it...it's the tort aspect that makes my stomach turn... It's not the SoCal paradise I expected to live in forever and keep the torts in.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
2hgv9rc.jpg

Me to wonka, me to.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Well you got a lot of advice ( and I don't thick you need more ) but I wish you the best ! Have the best tort day possible .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When my turtle partner, Will, moved from Fresno to Philadelphia I took care of all his turtles and tortoises until he was able to have me send them to him.

Would something like that work for you? I would be willing to foster your leopards until you can get your own place.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Heather..... As a CTTC Chino pal, I am really going to miss you! I hate it!
For you and your family, I'm thrilled for you! It sounds like a move to a beautiful place, with quality people. Should be a nice place to raise the boy's.
Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.
See you Friday. :)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Thanks everyone. :)

My husband and I are talking about the foster option for the leopards...I'll let you guys know when we decide what to do!

featherator

Southern California
Yay foster them with Yvonne! I would be more than willing also but Yvonne won't cry when its' time to give them back. lol

I was born and raised in Oregon. Moved here 10 years ago. You will love it and it's beautiful!!! Such a great place for families.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Southern Oregon weather is perfect tort weather in the summer it's currently in the 90s and has been for almost a month now I live about a hour away from.the California border and I'm the whole time I've been here I've never seen more the 1 inch of snow I wish you and your family the best of luck on the move

M

Maggie Cummings

Reminder...There's a lot of us keeping torts successfully here, you just have to stay on top of things and do things a little differently. It is about 90 degrees today, everybody is out side. Winter for tort keeping can be different, but fresh UVB bulbs keep them happy, you CAN do it! This is not a death sentence, but a new adventure. I would gladly help foster your young Leos, and so will my sister...there ya go!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Ya, I'm feeling confident that I can house Levi successfully up there.. But we are weighing the options of fostering.
We will know 100% by June 1st if we will make the move... So I'll have decided by then what to do with the other Leopards.

@N2TORTS Jeff, I'll send you a message.. You'll get an inside scoop! ;)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Heather,
When Karen and I moved to our home here at the ranch, I had to step down from being the president of the Oregon Herpetological Society. I was the elected pres for 6 years and during those years I helped turn the tide to a thriving organization. I feel for you in that regard. I felt I was leaving all my true friends and family. Now, 7 years later, I'm considering creating a central Oregon chapter of the Society.
When We moved here, I had but one tortoise, LaFawnda. She was a sad, mistreated sulcata of ten years old that weighed in at an outstanding 2 lbs. all her life she had been raised in a snake rack system without any light, let alone proper lights. LaFawnda passed away about six years ago. Now I have here at the ranch 23 tortoises all living healthy, happy lives. I tell you this to make it abundantly clear that it can be done.
I'm guessing Medford, right? The snow isn't really an issue. When it's said on average we get 7" of snow, that's not all at once. It may take 5 snowfalls to reach an annual amount of that 7".
Send me an email. We can talk. It will all be just fine. You will see. The two of you will get to your own place sooner than you realize and you will have your tortoises back home.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Hey @Cowboy_Ken ! I got your email. Thanks for wanting to give me some Oregon pointers :)

As I look into the weather specific to where I'll be going, I have no doubt that I'll be able to provide comfortable living for my Leopard, Levi. He'll have some temporary living quarters that would be smaller than I'd like, but again it's only going to be temporary.

I'm fairly certain I wont take the other 4 leopards nor choose the foster option. There is just so much going on with this possible situation and thinking about a long term breeding group of tortoises in a place I've never been to...it just adds to my weight load.

Nothing is concrete yet, we are taking it one day at a time while we figure out what to do. But I'll keep you guys posted. ;)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Hmm...thinking out loud here.

If I took both Levi (juvi male) and Summer (juvi female) technically they could share the same space...right? I'm not a fan of the pair dynamics or small living spaces....but maybe it wont be too bad as a temporary (however long that turns out to be) situation. :confused:
Then in the future as things settle, I could acquire a 2nd female and have a trio of leos???

Even though I have a possible female hatchling...I couldn't take her, I don't think. Cuz she can't be housed with the juvi's. Or maybe somehow I can??? oy, my head hurts....

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I would add Summer to the list of moving torts! With your knkwledge and dedication, you can make it work.
Maybe somehow you can take the hatchling.
Do you have any idea the space you will have where you are moving? It might be much easier than you are anticipating.
My guess is that you could pull it off, Heather!
Just keep thinking....... :)

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Sorry to hear you might be moving away from So Cal. I think many of us would foster your torts until yo got your own place and they could be sent to you at a later time. You gotta take at least 2 or 3 leopards with you, are you going to have access to a garage where you are going

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
No access to a garage and no yard.

The whole family of 4 will be squeezing into 1 bedroom, in my MIL's house. We will be living out of a suitcase while all of our stuff will be in storage.

I'll be able to set up a small closed chamber for housing and plan to take the tortoise out during the day for short periods...either in a hardware cloth covered wood frame, or with a balloon tied to serve as a tracker. I'm NOT a fan of perimeter-less roaming... Ugh.
This is all going to be temporary...just don't know exactly how long temporary is.

Maybe I take Levi but find a foster for Summer and Olive,the "hopefully female" hatchling...

Goodness....you guys have no idea how up and down all of this is! ?????
And as one who has never been easily stressed or worried, it's tiring!!