Amazon basin eggs after 11 years

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Pretty exciting moment last night when I was changing water bowls and spraying the tortoises down. Now many of you may ask about the amazon basin thing, I'm purely stating that these are in fact from a lineage bred in Peru that came from very very large parents. They're not massive by any means, but none the less they're lineage is linked to amazon basins. I imported a large number of these back in 2004 from Peru. Still have cites documents and photos of the adults. Of the 4 I kept 2 turned males and one turned female. The speculation of the basin giants versus northern traditional sized Yellowfoots seems to be an ongoing debate. Anyways. Was very pleased to find the female had laid a clutch of 6 eggs. She unlike the Suriname females actually dug a nest and buried them. What was interesting is that I've been running a constant "study" on these since I got them at the size of 4" back in 2004. The pen they're in has a slope and is heavily planted in bamboo and diffused sunlight enters the pen just as it would in the deep forests. Back to slope. I flood this pen almost every night, I leave the hose running in the water bowl and make a marsh like area. This is when they come running from the bamboo and search for food, the micro ecosystem under the forest where most the reds and other tortoises are is overrun with frogs. These are some of there favorite treats along with anything else offered. Anyways. I found it interesting that the female laid and dug the nest at the highest point of enclosure. May have no baring or anything, but now that she's developing follicles and producing ova time will certainly tell if this theory runs consistent year after year.

Anyways. Pretty excited to get the first clutch from this project. The female is quite large at 11 years old she's measured 17" SCL, not sure her weight but she's pretty heavy. Males are both 13" and quite aggressive.

So here's the clutch and big girl. Sure hope they hatch and I can raise them up and see if they too become rather large in the upcoming years. I figure a lot of the growth and giant size pertains to a certain environmental and husbandry technique of flood terrain and hovers high protein diets. Raised these guys pretty perfect so far.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 88
  • image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 81

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Pretty exciting moment last night when I was changing water bowls and spraying the tortoises down. Now many of you may ask about the amazon basin thing, I'm purely stating that these are in fact from a lineage bred in Peru that came from very very large parents. They're not massive by any means, but none the less they're lineage is linked to amazon basins. I imported a large number of these back in 2004 from Peru. Still have cites documents and photos of the adults. Of the 4 I kept 2 turned males and one turned female. The speculation of the basin giants versus northern traditional sized Yellowfoots seems to be an ongoing debate. Anyways. Was very pleased to find the female had laid a clutch of 6 eggs. She unlike the Suriname females actually dug a nest and buried them. What was interesting is that I've been running a constant "study" on these since I got them at the size of 4" back in 2004. The pen they're in has a slope and is heavily planted in bamboo and diffused sunlight enters the pen just as it would in the deep forests. Back to slope. I flood this pen almost every night, I leave the hose running in the water bowl and make a marsh like area. This is when they come running from the bamboo and search for food, the micro ecosystem under the forest where most the reds and other tortoises are is overrun with frogs. These are some of there favorite treats along with anything else offered. Anyways. I found it interesting that the female laid and dug the nest at the highest point of enclosure. May have no baring or anything, but now that she's developing follicles and producing ova time will certainly tell if this theory runs consistent year after year.

Anyways. Pretty excited to get the first clutch from this project. The female is quite large at 11 years old she's measured 17" SCL, not sure her weight but she's pretty heavy. Males are both 13" and quite aggressive.

So here's the clutch and big girl. Sure hope they hatch and I can raise them up and see if they too become rather large in the upcoming years. I figure a lot of the growth and giant size pertains to a certain environmental and husbandry technique of flood terrain and hovers high protein diets. Raised these guys pretty perfect so far.
They look to have grown perfect. Good look with the eggs. Exciting stuff. Just as an estimation, what % is protein, part of there diet?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
They look to have grown perfect. Good look with the eggs. Exciting stuff. Just as an estimation, what % is protein, part of there diet?
Well during summer they eat about 50/50. Most being frogs, but I'll give them cow liver every 3rd day along with the other turtles that eat meat. During winter it pretty much goes to worms and cow liver when they're in the greenhouse, go through about 30 pounds of liver a month. The meat eaters love it. I've tried heart, kidneys and stomach. They didn't really go for those. So a 50/50 diet or so and lots of water during the summer and keep it a bit dryer in the winter. I'm very proud how they have grown up. Very very smooth. Almost wild like.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Well during summer they eat about 50/50. Most being frogs, but I'll give them cow liver every 3rd day along with the other turtles that eat meat. During winter it pretty much goes to worms and cow liver when they're in the greenhouse, go through about 30 pounds of liver a month. The meat eaters love it. I've tried heart, kidneys and stomach. They didn't really go for those. So a 50/50 diet or so and lots of water during the summer and keep it a bit dryer in the winter. I'm very proud how they have grown up. Very very smooth. Almost wild like.
I agree, had to look twice too see if WC, And you have just answered a question I've asked many times before, they can eat liver. Do you feed it cooked or raw. What % of protein do you feed your reds.
I assume reds can eat frogs too.(jeez, Dawn going to go mad when I tell her this one)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I just chop it into sliver when it's frozen and let it thaw out a little then feed away. I've seen some of the female reds hunt frogs. They really are plentiful in the yellow foot enclosure though because of all the water I saturate them with. The Manouria will hunt them too,

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Sometimes I feed to the Redfoots, they prefer the boiled eggs, so I give them more of those than the liver. I get about 40 dozen eggs every other week from a farmer. So eggs are free and liver is not, so I give the liver to the picky more carnivorous ones.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I just chop it into sliver when it's frozen and let it thaw out a little then feed away. I've seen some of the female reds hunt frogs. They really are plentiful in the yellow foot enclosure though because of all the water I saturate them with. The Manouria will hunt them too,
So are you talking young frogs or adults or both.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
it took them long enough what was he doing all these years twiddling their thumbs or what? congratulations let's hope they are fertile and hatch.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
it took them long enough what was he doing all these years twiddling their thumbs or what? congratulations let's hope they are fertile and hatch.
Hahah. I know right. The males starting actively "breeding" years back. But we will see if they're shooting loaded rounds or blanks.