Amazon yellow eggs!

tylerandersen

10 Year Member!
My female has done a great job of laying eggs 14 eggs in the last 18 months though I have not been able to hatch any of them. I was hoping for some help/advice on how I might be able to get these guys to hatch. First my set up and what I am doing now.
When I see an egg I take them and put the in the incubator. The temp/humidity is 85/83 in the incubator.
I have them in a Tupperware container with holes in the side nothing on top with a bed of vermiculite that is surrounding the eggs. Any help would be appreciated.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I don't have experienced based advice regarding Amazon yellow foot tortoise egg incubation. It does sound like you are finding an odd egg here and there, not a clutch? For most species that lay more than a single egg, this usually indicates an egg produced without being fertilized in the first place. Tortoises can lay infertile eggs when they have the proper nutritional support, so GOOD JOB on diet anyways.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
We have a thread on here Kelly tells you how he does it . It should be in the breeding section . Maybe a mod will find it for you and post a link . I can't send you a link from my phone .

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Is a male present with the female? Also what size would the male be? Female Yellowfoots can drastically outweigh and achieve much larger sizes than males, I agree with Wills approach. Typically when I would find an egg here and there from my Yellowfoots they would never hatch, but when I found 8-16 in clutch sizes fertility would be around 75-80%. How big are your yellows?

In regards to incubation. The temps sound perfect. Deli cup is great. What substrate are you suing and how damp or dry is it kept?

tylerandersen

10 Year Member!
There are males present with the female. The female is big! She has laid clutches though they are small 4 eggs at a time. The first clutch that she ever laid though they did not hatch did have baby's inside when I opened them up so there have been some fertilized eggs I just cant seem to hatch any. I am using vermiculite after soaking it initially I do not water it so it is moist.