An intro and an I.D., please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warnerspringsmom

5 Year Member
Hello, we are new and found you in a search to identify our two tortoises. Thank you in advance for your help.

My son 16, was given these tortoises by a friend that he volunteers with. We were told that they were African tortoises. One male and one female.

At first glance I questioned as to whether they were the endangered CA tortoise. I did not want those. In any case we were told that they were the Africans.

Another mom came to see them. She does a lot with reptiles in our homeschool community. She told us that one was Greek and one was Russian and that they were both males.. I have included pic, and would appreciate anyone that can help us figure out what they are. I am worried that they are not getting the specialized care and environment that they need.

They seem happy and are eating lettuce and vitamins that came with them.

Again, thank you for the help.

WarnerspringsmomTortoises 001.jpgTortoises 002.jpgTortoises 001.jpgTortoises 001.jpgTortoises 001.jpg

Attachments

• Tortoises 003.jpg
    Tortoises 003.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 32
  • Tortoises 004.jpg
    Tortoises 004.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Tortoises 005.jpg
    Tortoises 005.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi WarnerSpringsMom:

Welcome to the forum!!

I'm not very familiar with the different kinds of Mediterannean tortoises (Greeks and Hermann's), but I do know that you don't have a Russian. They are either Greek or Hermann's. Someone will come along and help you, I'm sure.

Welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Welcome! They are definitely both greeks. I'm not sure of the sub species - but I'll take a guess. The first one maybe is a Jordanian, and the second one maybe graeca graeca. Those are total guess - but definitely greeks! Beautiful ones at that! :)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I'm pretty sure that they're Greeks...just not sure of the ssp:)

OOPS! Sorry for repeating what Kimber already verified...this is what I get for multi-tasking:p

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Welcome to the forum :)

Oh we all did the same thing :p so no problem Dean :D

You have 2 Greek tortoises, Testudo graeca. I'm going to need way more pictures of the second tortoise to tell sex and subspecies and a back of the shell picture of the first tortoise (which is a female :D).
How big are both of them? You'll have to measure them in a straight line and not over the curve of the shell. http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-6948.html

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.