Animal Plastics

Shaif

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
I

I recently made 2 new enclosed chambers for my tortoise room which are very much like the Animal plastics enclosures, but I made a 5" lower front lip to give a bit more room for substrate. I made them out of the same materials as AP does (1/2" PVC). The one pictured here is 5' wide, 3' deep and 2' high....perfect for my needs.View attachment 211458

That's really beautiful. Do you sell/ship them? What is your biggest size?

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
That's really beautiful. Do you sell/ship them? What is your biggest size?

Thanks Shaif. I haven't tried to sell any. AP has a nice product, and I would have purchased from them, but there was a 13 week wait and I needed them quick. I have the facility to build things like this easily, so I figured why not. The one pictured is the biggest I have made, though making them 8' or 10' long wouldn't be a problem. I noticed the other day that Home Depot now sells 1/2" PVC sheets, 4 X 8, so that is handy. I bought my PVC in 5' X 10' sheets from a sign supply company I work with. Cut it up, glued it up, added the door track and there you go.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Thanks Shaif. I haven't tried to sell any. AP has a nice product, and I would have purchased from them, but there was a 13 week wait and I needed them quick. I have the facility to build things like this easily, so I figured why not. The one pictured is the biggest I have made, though making them 8' or 10' long wouldn't be a problem. I noticed the other day that Home Depot now sells 1/2" PVC sheets, 4 X 8, so that is handy. I bought my PVC in 5' X 10' sheets from a sign supply company I work with. Cut it up, glued it up, added the door track and there you go.
@Sterant could you possibly provide a link to a source for those sheets? I cannot find them anywhere. Thanks...

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
So here in upstate NY, I use a supplier called Freeman Supply out of Dorchester, MA.

http://www.jfreeman.com/

Not sure if they have a location in California, but there is most certainly a sign supplier that covers the area. General plastics suppliers should also have it.

It is often sold under the brand names of Sintra, komatex and Celtec, but its all expanded PVC sheet. You can also buy true PVC sheet (not expanded) which is very nice, but is also very very heavy and twice the price.

Here is the Home Depot link, but these are only 4 X 8 sheets:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-2-in-x-48-in-x-96-in-White-PVC-Sheet-Panel-190360/205079515

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA

If you ever have the time/desire, I would buy one!

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
I've ordered my second T70 enclosure.

They now give adhesive handles because the glass is quite heavy.

They also allow you to adjust the "litter dam." That's the bottom lip on the front to allow deeper substrate.

I've asked for more ventilation holes and a few fine details with the lights.

The lag time is still 12 weeks. It was much longer last time, so hopefully it will be just that.

I sure wish I could make them like you guys can.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've ordered my second T70 enclosure.

They now give adhesive handles because the glass is quite heavy.

They also allow you to adjust the "litter dam." That's the bottom lip on the front to allow deeper substrate.

I've asked for more ventilation holes and a few fine details with the lights.

The lag time is still 12 weeks. It was much longer last time, so hopefully it will be just that.

I sure wish I could make them like you guys can.

After reading your posts here on this thread, I went ahead and ordered three of the T65s. It will make such a nice stack for all my hatchlings. Stars on top, sulcatas in the middle and SA leopards on bottom. I too, customized the lighting configuration somewhat, and made the litter dam taller. I got mine in white.

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
After reading your posts here on this thread, I went ahead and ordered three of the T65s. It will make such a nice stack for all my hatchlings. Stars on top, sulcatas in the middle and SA leopards on bottom. I too, customized the lighting configuration somewhat, and made the litter dam taller. I got mine in white.

That's awesome! Do you have yours yet? If so, please post pics.

White should look great. Nice and bright.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's awesome! Do you have yours yet? If so, please post pics.

White should look great. Nice and bright.

I ordered about 5 weeks ago. Got another 7 weeks to go…

I will make a new thread once they get here and I set them up.

a5fung

5 Year Member

Hey Tom & Shaif, what do you guys use (or plan to use) for heating these large enclosures? I currently have a T8 for one yearling RF and I have a screen on top where I put a CHE with dome lamp. It works well but not most efficient. I have four other RFs (babies, currently house separately) and thinking of going for a couple of the biggest size, T70, it'll last a few years and still useful for adults for cold days or overnight stay.

I'd like to know how you guys customize it for heating. I plan to ask them to put a two ceramic fixtures (one in middle and one of to one side) for two CHEs. I'll also ask for higher front lip. For lighting I just plan to install my own uvb tube lighting (I did the same for my T8 ).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey Tom & Shaif, what do you guys use (or plan to use) for heating these large enclosures?

I use CHEs (Ceramic Heating Elements) or RHPs (Radiant Heat Panels) set on thermostats to maintain ambient heat. Then I use regular 65 watt flood bulbs set on timers for basking heat during the day.

a5fung

5 Year Member
Thanks Tom!

@Shaif, looking at your initial pics of the top panel again, I see you have them install a bulb fixture on each side, are those used for the two domes you have in the other pics? Or are those used for something else and you install your own dome lights/heaters? Basically, I'm looking to install a couple of CHEs and wondering if I should have them install two fixtures or if I should reuse my existing domes, although I'm unsure how to mount them on top. Thanks!

a5fung

5 Year Member
I use CHEs (Ceramic Heating Elements) or RHPs (Radiant Heat Panels) set on thermostats to maintain ambient heat. Then I use regular 65 watt flood bulbs set on timers for basking heat during the day.

Actually, one more question for you Tom. I see you're getting the T65, is the 18" height enough distance for mounting CHEs inside?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Actually, one more question for you Tom. I see you're getting the T65, is the 18" height enough distance for mounting CHEs inside?
I don't think it is. I won't be using CHE's in those. The new enclosures will be in my heated reptile room. It never drops below 80 in there, so nee need for supplemental heat except the basking bulbs during the day.

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks Tom!

@Shaif, looking at your initial pics of the top panel again, I see you have them install a bulb fixture on each side, are those used for the two domes you have in the other pics? Or are those used for something else and you install your own dome lights/heaters? Basically, I'm looking to install a couple of CHEs and wondering if I should have them install two fixtures or if I should reuse my existing domes, although I'm unsure how to mount them on top. Thanks!

Great questions!

I did have them install 2 ceramic fixtures in my first enclosure for CHE's. It turns out that, like Tom, I never needed them. My enclosures are in my home as well. In fact, I was having troubles with overheating because of all the lighting, and I had to add more ventilation.

The dome lights I use are attached by a clip through a hole in the top of the cage. The ceramic fixtures sit empty. I'll send some pics later if you like.

My torts are Testudo, and they actually need a night time cool down, so temp isn't as high as other species.

Very excited for you and your new enclosure. You will love it, and you are on the right track doing your planning and research now. Just be prepared to wait. A long time.

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
Also-- even though you plan to attach/mount your own lights, consider sending a schematic of your final plan to Ali. She can have them cut grooves for your cords, so the look is seamless. They don't charge extra for it, and it looks sleek.

a5fung

5 Year Member
Thanks guys! My room is in the mid 70s most of the time so I'll definitely need some heating to get it to mid 80s for my RFs. So based in that, seems like 24" height is required.

Yes, Shaif, if you have time to get some pics on how you mount your lights that'll be great! I might get Ali to install a couple of ceramic fixtures just in case so I can decide to use them or mount my own later.

I know it'll be 3-4 months wait but I'm not in a rush, just want it all planned out first. Info from you guys are very helpful!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks guys! My room is in the mid 70s most of the time so I'll definitely need some heating to get it to mid 80s for my RFs. So based in that, seems like 24" height is required.

Yes, Shaif, if you have time to get some pics on how you mount your lights that'll be great! I might get Ali to install a couple of ceramic fixtures just in case so I can decide to use them or mount my own later.

I know it'll be 3-4 months wait but I'm not in a rush, just want it all planned out first. Info from you guys are very helpful!

You can use radiant heat panels in an 18" tall enclosure. I actually prefer them to a CHE. They spread the heat out over a much greater area and there is much less desiccation to the carapace.

a5fung

5 Year Member
You can use radiant heat panels in an 18" tall enclosure. I actually prefer them to a CHE. They spread the heat out over a much greater area and there is much less desiccation to the carapace.

What wattage of RHP would you recommend for a 3x8 or 3x7 (18in high) enclosure? I was wondering if one 120w would suffice or if I'll need the 160w or maybe two if lower wattage ones.