Animal Plastics

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
What wattage of RHP would you recommend for a 3x8 or 3x7 (18in high) enclosure? I was wondering if one 120w would suffice or if I'll need the 160w or maybe two if lower wattage ones.
If you are using it to raise ambient from 70ish up to 80ish, I'll bet the 80 watt one will do fine.

a5fung

5 Year Member
Cool, thanks for all the info.

I think i'll be going for two of the T65s and use RHP with it. I may go with 120w since it's only $5 more and if anything it'll just turn on less often.

8james8

5 Year Member
Alabama
Glad I stumbled on this thread. I am actually planning to order one of these enclosures for the spring.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Cool, thanks for all the info.

I think i'll be going for two of the T65s and use RHP with it. I may go with 120w since it's only $5 more and if anything it'll just turn on less often.

That seems reasonable and sensible to me.

a5fung

5 Year Member
Just ordered two T65s with a couple of RHP from Pro Products. Can't wait to get it!

Longhorns1187

Omaha, NE
I've ordered my second T70 enclosure.

They now give adhesive handles because the glass is quite heavy.

They also allow you to adjust the "litter dam." That's the bottom lip on the front to allow deeper substrate.

I've asked for more ventilation holes and a few fine details with the lights.

The lag time is still 12 weeks. It was much longer last time, so hopefully it will be just that.

I sure wish I could make them like you guys can.

We're getting ready to order a T20 (72Wx24Dx24H) for our future Egyptian tortoise. What exactly did you change on your second enclosure concerning the lighting? Did you make any other changes besides the ventilation holes and lighting? How about the litter dam?

We're trying to get the lighting choices (and a few others) dialed in before making a final ordering decision. Did you ship the lights to Animal Plastics to have them installed? They are located only about 2 hours away from us, so we'll probably end up going there to pick it up when it's done to save on shipping costs.

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
We're getting ready to order a T20 (72Wx24Dx24H) for our future Egyptian tortoise. What exactly did you change on your second enclosure concerning the lighting? Did you make any other changes besides the ventilation holes and lighting? How about the litter dam?

We're trying to get the lighting choices (and a few others) dialed in before making a final ordering decision. Did you ship the lights to Animal Plastics to have them installed? They are located only about 2 hours away from us, so we'll probably end up going there to pick it up when it's done to save on shipping costs.

I just changed the location of basking lights to give a nicer temperature gradient. Fluorescents are the same. And yes, I sent all the lights to Ali and had her mount them for me. That way, the wires were all hidden.

Best wishes with your new enclosure. You will love it.

Longhorns1187

Omaha, NE
I just changed the location of basking lights to give a nicer temperature gradient. Fluorescents are the same. And yes, I sent all the lights to Ali and had her mount them for me. That way, the wires were all hidden.

Best wishes with your new enclosure. You will love it.

Sounds awesome. We're going to see them in person (AP Plastics) at the Iowa Herp show on November 5th. Hope to get the order placed that day. Thinking about going with the MistKing Ultimate Misting System, too, and installing that myself once the enclosure is delivered.

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
Sounds awesome. We're going to see them in person (AP Plastics) at the Iowa Herp show on November 5th. Hope to get the order placed that day. Thinking about going with the MistKing Ultimate Misting System, too, and installing that myself once the enclosure is delivered.

Depending on your species, you may not need a mist unit. I have never needed mine. These keep humidity very well. I just moisten the substrate once or twice a week.

Longhorns1187

Omaha, NE
Depending on your species, you may not need a mist unit. I have never needed mine. These keep humidity very well. I just moisten the substrate once or twice a week.

Good to know. We're going to be keeping an Egyptian tortoise in this enclosure, so high humidity is not necessary. I was thinking about getting the mister to more replicate their natural habitat of getting a morning coastal mist daily and make it consistent with the included timer. If I order the enclosure within a month, that should give me plenty of time to get it set up and test and calculate temps and humidity daily. We probably won't receive the little one until summer, so it'll be nice to get things dialed in prior to his/her arrival.

Longhorns1187

Omaha, NE
Here's a plan I came up with for our future Egyptian tortoise enclosure. Sent it off to Animal Plastics to have them review the measurements, etc. and discuss any possible changes that need to be made. Probably won't need the CHE, but figured I'd added it as insurance. The enclosure is the T20 6 feet wide x 2 feet deep x 2 feet high.

Egyptian Tortoise Enclosure Plans 2017.png

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
Here's a plan I came up with for our future Egyptian tortoise enclosure. Sent it off to Animal Plastics to have them review the measurements, etc. and discuss any possible changes that need to be made. Probably won't need the CHE, but figured I'd added it as insurance.

View attachment 223084

Very very VERY nice. Just make sure this model/size enclosure doesn’t need a central support. My 8 foot one did, so none of the fixtures could span across the center.

I also like keeping the UVB tubes toward the back of the enclosure so there’s less direct exposure to the human caretaker. I know the theoretical exposure may be negligible. I’m just funny that way.

Best,
Shaifali

a5fung

5 Year Member
Nice! Mine was quite a bit simpler. It'll arrive after the new year, 12 wks lead time.

Also, in case any of you are ordering heat/light/etc. as well, you can have it shipped to them to install. I ordered two RHPs for mine from Pro Products and shipped to AP and they'll install for no charge.

Longhorns1187

Omaha, NE
Very very VERY nice. Just make sure this model/size enclosure doesn’t need a central support. My 8 foot one did, so none of the fixtures could span across the center.

I also like keeping the UVB tubes toward the back of the enclosure so there’s less direct exposure to the human caretaker. I know the theoretical exposure may be negligible. I’m just funny that way.

Best,
Shaifali

Good points. I hope I don't need a center support. Ali is going to run the plan by her husband and see if anything needs modification, before the build process starts. Probably a good idea to move the UVB fixtures to the back, I'll see if I can make some adjustments to my diagram to make that happen.

How is the humidity in your AP enclosure? With the Egyptian tortoise, I'll be striving for a lower overall humidity (besides the morning misting and hides humidity). So, I'm definitely having more holes drilled on both ends of the enclosure, and might end up going with their 20" x 12" screens on end side. The holes in the back will be pretty much negated, since I'll be placing a Universal Rocks background inside the enclosure (sticks out about 2").

Longhorns1187

Omaha, NE
Nice! Mine was quite a bit simpler. It'll arrive after the new year, 12 wks lead time.

Also, in case any of you are ordering heat/light/etc. as well, you can have it shipped to them to install. I ordered two RHPs for mine from Pro Products and shipped to AP and they'll install for no charge.

Nice! Can't wait to see your enclosure. Be sure to post pics when you get it.

That's the plan. Going to ship the UVB hoods and LED light bar directly to Animal Plastics to have them install them. I'm probably going to just buy their ceramic/porcelain fixtures and have them install them. I think they charge $15 for each fixture.

The nice thing for us, we only live about 2 hours from Animal Plastics. So, we're going to be able to pick up our enclosure when it's built. Should save a decent chunk of change on shipping.