Another ant fighting trick.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I drink a lot of Crystal Light and I have many of the plastic,cylindrical containers that they come in and have made several things out of them including this: I drill holes in the bottom and in the lid, place ant bait/poison inside and put the lid back on. I mount the containers laying sideways in my enclosures,or I put them on ledges or secure them with wire twist ties. What I have are rain resistant and tortoise chewing proof ant killing stations. Holes only on one side would also work and the holes only need to be ant sized. This seems to be working. I also placed a Lifesaver candy in the bottom of a mayonnaise jar an when it was FULL of ants, put the lid on and tossed the jar into the garbage. It took out a zillion ants, but I'm not sure how effective in the long haul. No fire ants right now. Just the less aggressive "big headed" type.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't have a problem with fire ants, I don't know if we even have them in my area, but I like your ideas. Just be sure some other animal, coon, skunk, etc can't come along at night and break open the container. That would be bad around your torts. Also, it might be best to put the traps on the outside of torts area, instead of drawing them into the area, drawing them out and into the traps. Just a thought.