he gets the smarter I see he is...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I know money is tight, but it sounds like Bob is due a more permanent fence! You need to subdivide your yard up into permanent pastures with a permanent fence, that way you don't have to keep moving the cinder blocks to make a new yard when he has eaten down the old one. I'm sure when Jacqui wins the lottery, she'll spring for new fence!!!:p

Yvonne

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
Maggie and Bob are on my lottery list too. :p But I was thinking of something with a NASCAR theme. I guess we could build a "safer barrier" fence for Bob's hard impacts.

Dawna

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Thank goodness you found Bob or that Bob found you. He sounds very sneeky to me. Candy

M

Maggie Cummings

galvinkaos said:
Maggie and Bob are on my lottery list too. :p But I was thinking of something with a NASCAR theme. I guess we could build a "safer barrier" fence for Bob's hard impacts.

Dawna

Do I sense another racing fan? Most would not know what the safer barricade is...

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
Yep, just watched the Nationwide race. I just don't like Kyle Bush. :( I wanted Carl to beat him. We even got xm radio to make sure we didn't miss a race. :p Now we have to pay extra because they moved nascar to sirius.

We are going to put some money aside to go to the chase race in Fontana this year. Hopefully.

Dawna

M

Maggie Cummings

galvinkaos said:
Yep, just watched the Nationwide race. I just don't like Kyle Bush. :( I wanted Carl to beat him. We even got xm radio to make sure we didn't miss a race. :p Now we have to pay extra because they moved nascar to sirius.

We are going to put some money aside to go to the chase race in Fontana this year. Hopefully.

Dawna

Fontana is a good track to go to because you can see the track perfectly from all the seats, there's a whole lot of other race activity going on. But it's a bad track because it's such a big track that not much racing goes on. The cars just spread out and go around and around. I'd like to try the LV race...My dream is to go to Talledaga...I would SO love to go there...

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
maggie3fan said:
Fontana is a good track to go to because you can see the track perfectly from all the seats, there's a whole lot of other race activity going on. But it's a bad track because it's such a big track that not much racing goes on. The cars just spread out and go around and around. I'd like to try the LV race...My dream is to go to Talledaga...I would SO love to go there...

A few years ago I got real good price on seats the day of a race. They released the wheelchair seating with folding chairs to the general public. I think we paid $25 each. My husband went last year on Monday to see the rained out Sunday race, but I haven't gone in a few years. I agree CA races aren't nearly as exciting as some other tracks. They say racing is wrecking (just happy when everyone walks away ok).:D

I also would like to go to LV or PHX. My husband said when we retire, he wants to follow the NASCAR circuit in a motorhome. Just once.

Dawna

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Kindred spirits! They both love desert tortoises and NASCAR!

Yvonne

M

Maggie Cummings

tortoisenerd said:
Sorry to hear Bob gave you a scare! Glad he's ok.

I have often wondered if Bob has a huge personality, or if his is a normal Sulcata personality and it's just that other Sulcata keepers don't pay as much attention to their animals as I do...or talk about them as much as I do. I love telling Bob stories, I used to drive down to Calif to visit my sister or to go to the Dr and I'd pack up my car with Bob in his wooden box I named Bob's Motel 8. I'd pack up the fragile small tortoises that I didn't trust someone else to care for and away I'd go. It was not unusual for me to have 20-30 tortoises in my car. I'd drive to Redding and get a room there so I could put lights on the babies and warm them up...
maybe rather then Bob having a huge personality...It's me having a nutty personality.

I like Carl also...but I like Kyle Busch more... simply because he took the fans hostility and turned it around and made it work for him. He has the same aggression that Dale Earnhardt had and he's not afraid to bump draft. Then when he'd win and the crowd would boo him he would do that bow. It took me a while, but I really like him. I think he is an exceptional driver, and I like the way he has handled the crowd.
But if I had to pick a driver I couldn't. The first year after Dale Earnhardt died I couldn't watch racing at all. I have gradually started watching again...but all the new rules and regulations and the safer barriers, the HANS device, the COT, the new spoiler and that they can't tweak the cars, all of that is taking the fun out of racing.
Used to be the mechanics could tweak the cars and the driver could actually see to steer the car and that was racing. Now it's the spotters telling the driver what to do, and all the cars are the same. They are ruining racing with all the rules just like all the rules ruined football.
Yvonne really wasn't joking when she mentioned The Dale Earnhardt Memorial Worship Room. I live alone in a 3 bedroom 2 bath house and one whole room is full of Dale Earnhardt collectibles, and some of it has spilled out into other rooms. This year I was finally able to have the Dale Earnhardt Christmas tree...nothing but Dale Earnhardt ornaments... I'm just a nutty old lady and I do what I want and I live the way I want...:p

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
Next time I go to AZ, I'll take a picture of the Dale wall in the garage.
My son's favorite driver is Carl for the back flips. I really like Mark Martin. He's such a gentleman, but a gentleman with a fuse. He can go off. Otherwise I just like to see a good race. I agree some of the rules are getting out of control. I am glad for some of the new safety stuff though. I think that is why some guys have walked away from some really nasty wrecks. As for Kyle, he just rubs me the wrong way. I agree he has handled the crowds and attitudes very well.

"This year I was finally able to have the Dale Earnhardt Christmas tree...nothing but Dale Earnhardt ornaments..."

Sounds like a nice tree to me. Did you take pictures?

"I'm just a nutty old lady and I do what I want and I live the way I want..."

That's funny Maggie. You should make that your signature :p

OOPS, I got distracted and forgot to say I am happy Bob was just playing hide and seek. Now that your not mad at him, give him a treat.

Dawna

aktech23

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
I have often wondered if Bob has a huge personality, or if his is a normal Sulcata personality and it's just that other Sulcata keepers don't pay as much attention to their animals as I do...or talk about them as much as I do.

my little sulcata has a big personality!
it's surprising to me. he even comes out from hiding when you call it.

if I'm working in the yard he'll find a convenient spot to sit there and watch you go back and forth accros the yard. I've found him spying on me. he doesn't hide from me too often.. but if you find him trying to get into something he shouldn't he goes right into his shell. he knows he's being sneaky. I was so glad to see he knew exactly where his warm home was all winter, as well as when to go get warm again. for us 50 in the afternoon is rare, but freezing at night will happen for maybe a week or so.

tortimer absolutely loves my wife. If she's out there he'll be near by.

if these guys get out of the yard they could wander for miles..

M

Maggie Cummings

aktech23 said:
maggie3fan said:
I have often wondered if Bob has a huge personality, or if his is a normal Sulcata personality and it's just that other Sulcata keepers don't pay as much attention to their animals as I do...or talk about them as much as I do.

my little sulcata has a big personality!
it's surprising to me. he even comes out from hiding when you call it.

if I'm working in the yard he'll find a convenient spot to sit there and watch you go back and forth accros the yard. I've found him spying on me. he doesn't hide from me too often.. but if you find him trying to get into something he shouldn't he goes right into his shell. he knows he's being sneaky. I was so glad to see he knew exactly where his warm home was all winter, as well as when to go get warm again. for us 50 in the afternoon is rare, but freezing at night will happen for maybe a week or so.

tortimer absolutely loves my wife. If she's out there he'll be near by.

if these guys get out of the yard they could wander for miles..

Sulcata and Gopherus agassizii have the best personalities of all. Your guy being so nosy, I'll be that before spring is over he's coming over and sticking his face into whatever you're doing!

Status
Not open for further replies.